Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hi All - I'm new!

Member #:3217
    I'm with Enigma; call me an 'ethanol hater'... since every older engine I've put ethanol fuel in has degraded to a 'not running' condition before I had to replace fuel lines, clean carburetors/tanks/etc. Doing that and running 'non ethanol' fuel restores them to trouble-free operation. To be noted: The engines I've had problems with are in older cars (that sit for months at a time), and all my 'summer-use small engines' (lawnmowers, tillers, weedeaters, blowers, hedge trimmers, etc)...

PS. In my recent trip in the 56 Nomad to the TriFive Nationals (about 175 mile trip), I left here with a full tank of 'non-ethanol' and got 18.8 mpg. Coming home with 'ethanol fuel', I got 17 mpg. That's exactly 10% difference (which coincidentally is the percentage of ethanol in the fuel I purchased). Ethanol in our gasoline is another of the 'politically expedient' SCREWUPS put on the citizenry of this country by our politicians! (You can add this to the 'airbags', etc.. and other 'safety related mandates by the federal gov't). They make the headlines, and WE pay the bills, and suffer the consequences!
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 09-24-2017 at 04:13 PM.

Member #:3
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    I'm with Enigma; call me an 'ethanol hater'... since every older engine I've put ethanol fuel in has degraded to a 'not running' condition before I had to replace fuel lines, clean carburetors/tanks/etc. Doing that and running 'non ethanol' fuel restores them to trouble-free operation. To be noted: The engines I've had problems with are in older cars (that sit for months at a time), and all my 'summer-use small engines' (lawnmowers, tillers, weedeaters, blowers, hedge trimmers, etc)...

PS. In my recent trip in the 56 Nomad to the TriFive Nationals (about 175 mile trip), I left here with a full tank of 'non-ethanol' and got 18.8 mpg. Coming home with 'ethanol fuel', I got 17 mpg. That's exactly 10% difference (which coincidentally is the percentage of ethanol in the fuel I purchased). Ethanol in our gasoline is another of the 'politically expedient' SCREWUPS put on the citizenry of this country by our politicians! (You can add this to the 'airbags', etc.. and other 'safety related mandates by the federal gov't). They make the headlines, and WE pay the bills, and suffer the consequences!
    I agree To !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Just google it , that will tell the story

Sid

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Member #:115
    PS. In my recent trip in the 56 Nomad to the TriFive Nationals (about 175 mile trip), I left here with a full tank of 'non-ethanol' and got 18.8 mpg. Coming home with 'ethanol fuel', I got 17 mpg. That's exactly 10% difference (which coincidentally is the percentage of ethanol in the fuel I purchased).
    That's just absurd. That's saying that ethanol has ZERO energy content, which we know is not true. How in the world do cars even run on E85? You can't accurately measure fuel mileage in 175 miles.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:1653

PS. In my recent trip in the 56 Nomad to the TriFive Nationals (about 175 mile trip), I left here with a full tank of 'non-ethanol' and got 18.8 mpg. Coming home with 'ethanol fuel', I got 17 mpg.
    Up hill?

Just like walking to/from school.. .. it was uphill both ways!

Actually.. (I just checked) I'm at 833' here, and BG is at 547' ... but I had to drive thru the Tennessee hills both ways!

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    That's just absurd. That's saying that ethanol has ZERO energy content, which we know is not true. How in the world do cars even run on E85? You can't accurately measure fuel mileage in 175 miles.
    I just reported the facts, CN... everyone can draw their own conclusions!

PS. So you don't think you can get an accurate measure of the gasoline used from fill-up to fill-up? Or do you question the miles between points A and B provided by Google maps? OR is it the mathematical division operation you are questioning???

Member #:530
    Welcome to the site Lendonhood. Ignore these guys going back and forth on the ethanol issue. They all tend to get side tracked on other peoples topics with the neverending argument (whatever the disagreement of the day is).
    That's not going to help you with your problem.
    I concur with ChevyNuts recommendation to figure out if you have rust and gunk in your fuel tank and lines first. That's probably whats causing the lack of flow issue. Drain the tank, then remove it, then inspect the inside of it (as best you can) and if it's got rust or gunk inside, then flush it out with your hose for a while. While you have that out, then disconnect the fuel line from the fuel pump (at the engine) and then with compressed air...blow out the line to verify that it also has no junk in it.

This is all typical stuff for a 60 year old car that may have sat alot.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Member #:1608
    Welcome to the site

Registered Member

Member #:3540
    Thanks for all the ideas. I haven't had time to get into it yet but I'll let you know.
    Thanks,
    Rob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12