Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1955 Chevy Handyman Project

Registered Member

Member #:3477

1955 Chevy Handyman Project

So here is the story.....

I bought a 55 Nomad project last summer. It ran, the roof was good, side moldings nice and tight and the body was above average. Frame wasn't horrible. It had a 305 and an automatic. I was going to build a period hotrod, not gasser look, just something you might see rolling around in the late 60s.

Then I got sick. real sick. Almost died sick.

When I was finally released from the hospital, I was wiped. Using a walker to get around, endless dr. appointments. So I realized I wouldn't get to the Nomad in quite a while. So a close friend with a long stalled handyman project but who wanted a Nomad and I made a swap. I mostly did it so he'd have that Nomad he always wanted. However, I had something that was further along.

So I thought and conspired and tried to get well and thought about the babyblue 55.However, I was still pretty messed up and then I went on some meds designed to nearly kill me.

My friend now with the Nomad, comes by one day with a 283 (from a 67 Nova no less) and says here is something for you to play with on the 55. He knew that would get me up and around. And it did. And with the help of another close friend I rebuilt the motor and started the project. My other friend and I formed Pighead Motors because we are both stubborn Germans.

Here is the 55 Nomad:

Attachment 7788

Here is the Chevy Handyman when she arrived:

Attachment 7773

Here is the boat anchor 67 Nova motor when it arrived:

Attachment 7774

As rusty inside as out.

Attachment 7775

Here is the 55 as we began to move along on the project fitting brakes and mocking up mounts:

Attachment 7776

The motor was built as follows:

Block done (cleaned, magged, cylinder .030, honed, align bored)
    Crank (polished and done at .10/.10)
    New flat tops
    Erson cam
    Accel 34000 distributor with Pertronix kit
    B&M two piece valve covers
    Offenhauser 360 dual quad intake
    2- Edelbrock 500cfm carbs with direct linkage

Attachment 7787

Car was converted to Power Drum brakes

Attachment 7784

ultimately using:

8" booster
    67 Chevelle MC
    Wilwood Prop valve
    All hand bent lines

BTW, I ordred an Eklers kit, and ended up throwing away the prop valve (it was the leaky Brass version) and the lines which were way two bulky. You can see it here before I began to get rid of the stuff I did not like.

Attachment 7785

Car was converted to Power Steering with an original kit sourced on the Web. (Guy was a gentleman with great stuff)

Attachment 7786

Car was converted to electric wipers using the Raingear kit.

Car will receive a 14 Circuit Kwik Wire Harness in 2 weeks (btw I like these MUCH better than the AAW kits)

Car got 15" GM rally wheels with flat caps. They are staggered and the rears are super-dished (from my parts stash).

We also installed a Turbo 350 with Lokar cables.

We installed the motor using front mounts with Urethane bushings, a mid-mount kit for the Turbo 350 and a rear crossmember for the trans tail housing.

We installed flow tech headers which fit great (driver side up from bottom) and I am fabbing out the exhaust.

So here is the 55 after we dropped the motor:

Attachment 7777

Attachment 7783

and after we began to dress the motor:

Attachment 7778

Attachment 7779

Attachment 7780

Attachment 7781

Attachment 7782

In February, I couldn't walk, could hardly get out of a recliner. Then the Chevy showed up, my friends started pushing me.I felt my strength coming back. I could walk with a cane then without. The Meds were a set back but the Chevy pushed me and I dragged myself out to the garage. I built the motor. Sourced the parts.

So thats where we are. Thanks to two great friends and an amazing car, it wasn't a horrible summer and I got well enough to go in for more surgery next month. (they need to fix a few things)

Much work to do. If I have it running before next months surgery then I will feel like mission mostly accomplished.

I will keep you guys posted if you'd like. And thanks for all the help with my questions as I posted.

S
    Last edited by scorpion1110; 09-23-2017 at 06:17 AM. Reason: spelling

Member #:3217
    Nice writeup Scorpion! The photos always help us 'see' what you are doing!

We are all glad you are doing better.. Best wishes for a continued recovery and good luck on your build!~

Member #:3
    Really good Story ,Great Job on the work you have done Looks very good !!!
    Glad you are felling better & get well soon

Thanks Sid

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Member #:530
    Congrats on your recovery and project status Scorpion. Having good friends to be supportive and encouraging is vitally important. Oh and a vintage Tri5 doesnt hurt to have around also. Keep at it.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Registered Member

Project update pics pics pics

Ok its been waaaay too long since I posted any pics. So folks since you are all helping me build this through answers to my never-ending questions, I felt you should at least see what you have built so far.

After the oil galley issue that was posted in another thread, my machine shop fixed the issue and did a tune on the carbs and checked timing. Long story I had it about where it should be. Yay.

Here is the 55 after it returned home yesterday:

Attachment 9162

and from the back. Gates are in primer:

Attachment 9163

From the side. I am running AZ rallies in the back and FWs in the front both with flat caps. Everything fits fine:

Attachment 9164

Forgive the sloppy wiring. Kwik Wire harness goes in this winter. Had to build a standoff plate inside from firewall since everything is squished under the dash of these things. However, there is a spot and with a one inch standoff- perfect fit and location. If anyone wants a pic, let me know.

Also you will see that the headers are gone from earlier pics and the alternator is now on the passenger side:

Attachment 9165Attachment 9166Attachment 9167

Last pic is of the shifter I decided on. Love the winters, fits good shifts great. I made an offset plate, welded to floor and its in the perfect spot. If you use one of these, order the 4ft shift cable. Perfect fit and no slop.

Attachment 9168

So today I look at the blown muffler on the driver side and once the exhaust is done, then the mechanical is pretty much done allowing for tweaks here and there.

After that its wiring this winter. Gates and windows install in the spring and then wrap up the interior, door panels, bed area, electronics.

All for now and again that you everyone for answering questions.

S
    Last edited by scorpion1110; 09-07-2018 at 05:56 AM. Reason: forgot pic

Member #:530
    Great progress Scorpion! Glad to see you staying with it. Your wagon will be done before we all know it (at this pace). Keep posting pics here once in a blue moon.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    good to see you up and feeling better. looking good.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by carls 56 View Post
    good to see you up and feeling better. looking good.
    Thanks Carl! Surgery on Tuesday fingers crossed that I escape quickly. Always a fight but I am up to it

S

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Multiple carbs and hump heads are way cooler than another crate motor.

Member #:115
    Only thing worse than one carb is multiple carbs. Antique pieces of junk, imo. That's why no OEM has used one in the past 30 years.

Nothing at all wrong with a crate motor, and they're a great value for the money. I don't consider mine a "crate motor" anymore since I went completely through it and cleaned it, honed the block, installed new rings, custom ground cam, double roller timing chain, and roller rockers. I also checked all the bearing clearances. No different now than any shop-built engine imo.
    Last edited by chevynut; 09-07-2018 at 11:25 AM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast