Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1955 Chevy Handyman Project

Banned

Member #:2775
    The car looks great, and built the way you want it, which is the best way!
    And with a little tinkering, carbs ROCK. By design, they also self-adjust. Any car guy knows that.
    After having intake air restriction problems a couple times, I can see a better air filter setup is all, and it can really wake up a wound up motor.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 09-08-2018 at 05:10 AM.

Registered Member

Member #:3477
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Only thing worse than one carb is multiple carbs. Antique pieces of junk, imo. That's why no OEM has used one in the past 30 years.

Nothing at all wrong with a crate motor, and they're a great value for the money. I don't consider mine a "crate motor" anymore since I went completely through it and cleaned it, honed the block, installed new rings, custom ground cam, double roller timing chain, and roller rockers. I also checked all the bearing clearances. No different now than any shop-built engine imo.

Really CN?

I post about my car and you bash it? Tsk tsk. To the corner until you can be polite and play with the other kids without being rude.

S

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpion1110 View Post
    Really CN?

I post about my car and you bash it? Tsk tsk. To the corner until you can be polite and play with the other kids without being rude.

S
    If cn can't fix it, he bashes it. Just the kind of guy he is. I love my quadrajet(s), and I also liked the Holley 800 double pumper spread bore mechanical secondaries. After I get other things straightened out, I'll have to pop the Holley on again. I don't think either are better, just different.
    Last edited by 55 Tony; 09-08-2018 at 04:51 AM.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Member #:615
    Scorpion, I like your car. I love the looks of your engine. It looks good.
    Last edited by Tabasco; 09-08-2018 at 05:57 AM.

Member #:615
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Antique pieces of junk, imo. That's why no OEM has used one in the past 30 years.
    Can't the same thing be said about big-block engines? If you really wanted your Nomad to not have antique pieces of junk under hood you should switch that big-block for an LS engine.

Personally I like small blocks with carburetors in old cars.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Back in the 90s I sold all my non 454 and small journal SBC stuff, now I am trying to sell my 350 stuff especially the one piece rear main stuff. I have a forged piston early 327 and hump heads to replace the 69 model 350 in my 56. Some of us really dig builds like this . It is extra cool to see someone overcome the issues you have to be this close to done. Just ignore the rude basher and take pleasure in Knowing he will still be polishing parts while you are driving around getting thumbs up.

Registered Member

I havent posted on this thread in ages.

So a few months ago, I was whining about being tired. Well I decided to quit whining, suck it up and find time to push the project along. I started getting the tailgate and liftgate in order, installed power windows and new window fuzzies and started doing the garnish moldings. I need to do the whole interior, as well as pull a wheel house dent. There is still a ton of work to do, including creating bucket seat mounts for a pair of 63-64 GM Abody seats I scored from a local boneyard for a whopping $45.

Of course as soon as I made some headway, I got the word from the Dr. that an old friend is back so its on to surgery this Tuesday. So I have been pushing and this weekend tried to wrap up the mounts and get these SOBs in. While I still need to make up two 1/2 spacers for the passenger inboard mounts, here are the seats, installed with the provisions remaining to swap in the bench seat. The Winters shifter is located a bit forward so that it will accommodate the bench if I swap these out.

So here is what they look like now.

Attachment 9695Attachment 9696Attachment 9697

My reference location was the factory bench seat mounting location.

I had hoped to mark this closed as I am on the shelf for the next 4 weeks. Unfortunately couldnt get there.

Scorp

Registered Member

I have no idea why these posted sideways.

Registered Member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast