Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: 1955 Chevy Handyman Project

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Registered Member

Member #:3477

1955 Chevy Handyman Project

So here is the story.....

I bought a 55 Nomad project last summer. It ran, the roof was good, side moldings nice and tight and the body was above average. Frame wasn't horrible. It had a 305 and an automatic. I was going to build a period hotrod, not gasser look, just something you might see rolling around in the late 60s.

Then I got sick. real sick. Almost died sick.

When I was finally released from the hospital, I was wiped. Using a walker to get around, endless dr. appointments. So I realized I wouldn't get to the Nomad in quite a while. So a close friend with a long stalled handyman project but who wanted a Nomad and I made a swap. I mostly did it so he'd have that Nomad he always wanted. However, I had something that was further along.

So I thought and conspired and tried to get well and thought about the babyblue 55.However, I was still pretty messed up and then I went on some meds designed to nearly kill me.

My friend now with the Nomad, comes by one day with a 283 (from a 67 Nova no less) and says here is something for you to play with on the 55. He knew that would get me up and around. And it did. And with the help of another close friend I rebuilt the motor and started the project. My other friend and I formed Pighead Motors because we are both stubborn Germans.

Here is the 55 Nomad:

Attachment 7788

Here is the Chevy Handyman when she arrived:

Attachment 7773

Here is the boat anchor 67 Nova motor when it arrived:

Attachment 7774

As rusty inside as out.

Attachment 7775

Here is the 55 as we began to move along on the project fitting brakes and mocking up mounts:

Attachment 7776

The motor was built as follows:

Block done (cleaned, magged, cylinder .030, honed, align bored)
    Crank (polished and done at .10/.10)
    New flat tops
    Erson cam
    Accel 34000 distributor with Pertronix kit
    B&M two piece valve covers
    Offenhauser 360 dual quad intake
    2- Edelbrock 500cfm carbs with direct linkage

Attachment 7787

Car was converted to Power Drum brakes

Attachment 7784

ultimately using:

8" booster
    67 Chevelle MC
    Wilwood Prop valve
    All hand bent lines

BTW, I ordred an Eklers kit, and ended up throwing away the prop valve (it was the leaky Brass version) and the lines which were way two bulky. You can see it here before I began to get rid of the stuff I did not like.

Attachment 7785

Car was converted to Power Steering with an original kit sourced on the Web. (Guy was a gentleman with great stuff)

Attachment 7786

Car was converted to electric wipers using the Raingear kit.

Car will receive a 14 Circuit Kwik Wire Harness in 2 weeks (btw I like these MUCH better than the AAW kits)

Car got 15" GM rally wheels with flat caps. They are staggered and the rears are super-dished (from my parts stash).

We also installed a Turbo 350 with Lokar cables.

We installed the motor using front mounts with Urethane bushings, a mid-mount kit for the Turbo 350 and a rear crossmember for the trans tail housing.

We installed flow tech headers which fit great (driver side up from bottom) and I am fabbing out the exhaust.

So here is the 55 after we dropped the motor:

Attachment 7777

Attachment 7783

and after we began to dress the motor:

Attachment 7778

Attachment 7779

Attachment 7780

Attachment 7781

Attachment 7782

In February, I couldn't walk, could hardly get out of a recliner. Then the Chevy showed up, my friends started pushing me.I felt my strength coming back. I could walk with a cane then without. The Meds were a set back but the Chevy pushed me and I dragged myself out to the garage. I built the motor. Sourced the parts.

So thats where we are. Thanks to two great friends and an amazing car, it wasn't a horrible summer and I got well enough to go in for more surgery next month. (they need to fix a few things)

Much work to do. If I have it running before next months surgery then I will feel like mission mostly accomplished.

I will keep you guys posted if you'd like. And thanks for all the help with my questions as I posted.

S
    Last edited by scorpion1110; 09-23-2017 at 06:17 AM. Reason: spelling