Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1955 Chevy Handyman Project

Member #:3249
    Our stories are similar. I don't want to hijack, but cancer and a couple of heart attacks sure slowed down my progress. I'm so thankful to friends who've helped me get my 56 on the road.............since it hit the street in September, I've got almost 7000 miles on it. If my health holds up, we've got more trips planned this summer. Keep at it, it's worth it.

Registered Member

Member #:3477
    Quote Originally Posted by busterwivell View Post
    Our stories are similar. I don't want to hijack, but cancer and a couple of heart attacks sure slowed down my progress. I'm so thankful to friends who've helped me get my 56 on the road.............since it hit the street in September, I've got almost 7000 miles on it. If my health holds up, we've got more trips planned this summer. Keep at it, it's worth it.
    I know Buster, and I have thought about your toughness when I have felt slightly beaten. I am always thankful for the perspective you shared. Thats why I am heading into the hospital as just a brief delay, with hopes that I am out in a jiff and messing around in the garage.

Thats the Plan.

BTW, those buckets make it easier to access the back seat in the wagon.

Scorp

Registered Member

So while we are all stuck at home reading about Covid-19 and eating snacks, I thought I would post a few pictures of the handyman project. Since everyone is probably bored, I thought I would bore you even further.

When last I posted on this thread I was whining about just being wiped. Well I think it was the long term effects of a dance with Chemo because eventually I started getting my energy back and started hitting the wagon hard.

I sourced buckets from a '63 Skylark convertible, made mounts and installed them:

Attachment 10543

Sourced a winters shifter that you can also see in the picture.

I blasted and then had the gate and liftgate painted. I cut the gate and installed vintage ADS 320I speakers, and upholstered with marine grade diamond point vinyl:

Attachment 10544

Then I pulled the crap wiring out of the dash and installed a Kwik Wire harness. I rebuilt the deluxe heater, installed 2 5/8 Autometers, installed a JVC Marine digital media head unit, powered up the rear speakers with a vintage ADS PQ10 amp and went with AudioFrog GS 42 speakers in the doors.

Attachment 10547

Here are some more pics of dash:

The JVC is short from a depth standpoint so fits well in glovebox
    Attachment 10548
    Gauges and shifter. Gauges have green tint bulb covers
    Attachment 10549
    I added an aux ppanel to provide a fan override and a prime fuel pump which you can just see.
    Here is the cluster which I rebuilt and relit:
    Attachment 10550

Molex connectors to remove gauges.

I also shortened the column and rebuilt it here is a pic right after install:
    Attachment 10551

Seats from the other side:
    Attachment 10552

Moving to underhood next.

Registered Member

more pics

While I was buttoning up inside I was installing a CP500 box, Hydroboost with Chevynut mount plate, Corvette MC, Wilwood Combination Valve (with hydraulic brake switch), Mike Garcia Disk Brakes, A Borgeson Hydroboost pump and Aeroquip hoses.

Here is the hydro sourced from a Chevy truck:
    Attachment 10553

I reversed it:
    Attachment 10555

Replumbed everything:
    Attachment 10556

And it looks like this right now:

Attachment 10557

Pump needs to go in and hoses need to be run but things are moving along:
    Attachment 10558
    Attachment 10559

Member #:3217
    Good work Scorp!

Did you use the new NIKOPP (or NICOPP?) lines to plumb from your MC?? or ?? If so, what's your view/opinion about it?

Registered Member

Thanks Bama-

I am a bit of a bending fool. I love doing lines even though I am average at best. I am using a mastercool hydraulic bender on the nickle copper lines. I like them. They bend well, flare well and have had no issues with them. The small bends at the MC were a pain as snall bends always are.

I stopped using the edp coated steel lines because the flares were becoming a problem. Felt like the steel was more brittle. This also made me concerned about scoring the brass seats in the MCs and blocks.

I think the alloy lines are easier to bend, flare and easier on the seats.

Scorp

Member #:3217
    I like what I've read about nicopp lines (*easy to bend, etc) but I watched a video of a restorer using them and he 'seemingly did only single flares on the ends.. Is that safe? If so, what makes single flares safe on nicopp??

I've been afraid of single flares since I began doing car work so I bought a double flare tool many years ago.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    I like what I've read about nicopp lines (*easy to bend, etc) but I watched a video of a restorer using them and he 'seemingly did only single flares on the ends.. Is that safe? If so, what makes single flares safe on nicopp??

I've been afraid of single flares since I began doing car work so I bought a double flare tool many years ago.
    Always do a double flare. Because its easier to bend and flare, the double flare isnt a problem. I am a serious fan of a hydraulic flaring tool and all my benders are imperial benders which I really like. This line is also easy to situate so you can get the seal when you have to loosen the lines after the initial leak. Again it reduces the risk of scoring the seats too.

Dont single flare the line if you use the alloy tubing.

Member #:1723
    Hi Scorp,
    My, my, you have been busy! As I look at your pics, I can almost hear the motor, just about ready to start revving (ala BTO's Roll on Down the Highway)!
    Regards, Doug

Registered Member

Continue to hit the wagon.........

Here is the Kwik Wire fuseblock with a standoff. Its in an easy to reach spot next to the column.
    Attachment 10566

Here's the auxpanel I put in. It controls the Fan override, prime fuel pump and one is open but will be for hazards
    Attachment 10567

Yesterday I installed the Borgeson Hydroboost pump and pully:
    Attachment 10568

Finally I made and ran Aeroquip high pressure lines to the hydroboost. I ordered the wrong id return line hose so I reordered new lines.
    Attachment 10569

Finally here is the mocked up ADS PQ10 amp. I used magdaddy magnets at the corners so I can move it and not drill the floor. Everything works and sounds great.
    Attachment 10570

More to come.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123