Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Firing up the Ramjet 502!

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    What access do you have to service the hidden brake system? Looks like it might be a major undertaking if you had to replace the master cylinder, or anything else.
    The reservoir has a sight glass for filling it, and a level sensor for monitoring the level. I plan to put a warning light somewhere in the car. If I need to service it, I remove the front tire, and the lower flap on the inner wheelwell. Access should take a few minutes and once the flap is off it's easy to get to.

20071111_999_7.JPG

I've owned my truck for 12 years and 190,000 miles an have never touched the brake system. Same with my Porsche (15 years, 35K miles) and they all work just fine.

The radiator overflow tank is similar and in about the same location on the passenger side of the car. It also has a sight glass for filling, and a level sensor. I just didn't want to clutter up the firewall with tanks or anything else.

20090228_1244.JPG
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Really you don't believe in changing brake fluid, that's not how I do things.

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Really you don't believe in changing brake fluid, that's not how I do things.
    Fishing again there Mark?

Member #:1608
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    JT, I looked all over the internet for something like that reservoir, even used Google images and only found the Canton Racing ones that are application specific. It doesn't look like Smiley's offers that one anymore. Not sure if it would have worked either, given my space constraints.

http://www.smileysracing.com/shoppin...i=47544&c=1532
    Sorry should have posted this address. Sounds like you got it covered. Looking good man!

http://www.saldanaracingproducts.com/

Member #:530
    I used this Moroso one for mine. I cut the tabs off and repositioned them for my mounting needs, and had a return line bung welded in on the lower/side of it (for the line coming back from the hydroboost).

Moroso.jpg

The only logical place I can see looking at your pics is against the back of the core support, just below the upper radiator hose. Or (like you mentioned) on the tire side of the inner driver fender with the line coming thru a grommeted hole to the pump. That makes accessing and visually checking fluid all that much more difficult.
    Last edited by WagonCrazy; 09-28-2017 at 08:05 AM.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Quote Originally Posted by NCW View Post
    Fishing again there Mark?
    Of course he is....that's how every one of these things starts. He makes some comment, starts asking irrelevant questions, then goes on the attack because he thinks his way is the only right way.

I have never changed brake fluid in any of my vehicles unless I was doing a brake job and/or changing calipers or master cylinders. I keep my vehicles a long time, usually close to 200K miles and have never had an issue with brake fluid in almost 50 years of driving. I check levels, and that's about it. I can't even remember when I've ever had to mess much with brake fluid levels in any vehicle I've owned. Same with engine coolant. As long as the coolant looks clean and the engine isn't overheating and it's protected from freezing, I don't mess with it. And I've never had any problems. IMO flushing and re-filling these things "just because" is a waste of time, money and resources. It works for me.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCrazy View Post
    I used this Moroso one for mine. I cut the tabs off and repositioned them for my mounting needs, and had a return line bung welded in on the lower/side of it (for the line coming back from the hydroboost).
    I looked at that one and I think it's Ford specific (Mustang??). I figured I'd have to modify it to mount it, and I didn't like the push-on hose nipples. I would have had to weld on some AN fitting bungs to use hose ends. BTW, the one I got from Concept One is available with two AN6 fittings for Hydroboost applications.

The only logical place I can see looking at your pics is against the back of the core support, just below the upper radiator hose. Or (like you mentioned) on the tire side of the inner driver fender with the line coming thru a grommeted hole to the pump. That makes accessing and visually checking fluid all that much more difficult.
    Those two places are the only ones I've found that might work too. My main concern at this point is being able to connect the AN10 hose to both the reservoir and pump. I plan to use two 90-degree hose ends and hopefully that works. Obviously I don't get too hung up on "accessing" things. I don't think I've ever had to check the level of the PS fluid in my truck or Porsche....or any other vehicle I've owned. I check it when the PS pump starts making noise indicating the fluid is low or when something else doesn't seem right. Unless there's a leak, why check it? That's my philosophy on it.
    Last edited by chevynut; 09-28-2017 at 08:17 AM.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Really , you honestly think that way, I have a number of vehicles that have owned and drove for 30 or 40 years and I can tell you from my honest experience brake fluid draws moisture and needs changed. Especially true on newer stuff with ABS. Now feel free to tell me how stupid I am.

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Really , you honestly think that way, I have a number of vehicles that have owned and drove for 30 or 40 years and I can tell you from my honest experience brake fluid draws moisture and needs changed. Especially true on newer stuff with ABS. Now feel free to tell me how stupid I am.
    Brake fluid gets hot when you drive. What happens to that water in the system when it gets hot? I've not had any indication of water in my brake systems, nor does ethanol cause any problem in my gas. I guess I just live a blessed life, huh?

You do things the way you want to, and I'll do them the way I want to. This thread isn't about how often you should change your brake fluid or coolant.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Head buried in sand.