Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Firing up the Ramjet 502!

Member #:115
    After wrangling with the computer for several hours I finally got the Holley Commander 950 PRO software to load and was able to look at the supplied maps. They have one for a 502 with 42 lb/hr injectors which is exactly what I have. I connected the computer to the ECU and couldn't get them to communicate no matter which comm port I used. Comm Port 3 was the only one that didn't immediately give me a port error so I used that one. Then when trying to load the maps I kept getting an error that said "ECU not connected or not powered up". I checked the continuity of the cable and made sure the ECU was getting power, even though it was running the fuel pump just fine. Everything seemed to be as it should.

After messing around with it some more I determined that it wasn't going to work with the parallel to serial adapter, so I got a USB to RS-232 serial cable from Best Buy. Got it plugged in and loaded a driver for it, but it still wouldn't connect. I got the same error saying the ECU wasn't connected or powered up.....then I tried Comm Port 4 and it connected.

So today I went through Holley's setup procedure and adjusted the TPS, set all the engine parameters, and finalized the start-up maps and info. I decided to go ahead and put coolant into the engine since I painted the panels and don't have to remove them again so I put 4 gallons of 50/50 anti-freeze and distilled water in it, and it's still not full. There's enough to run it though.

I also hooked up the O2 sensor outputs of the ECU to the WBO2 controller and I can read it on the computer along with all the other sensors. I primed the engine again and cranked it over a little, then primed it one last time. Then I re-installed the distributor and plug wires. After that I cranked it without the fuel pump plugged in and got 35 PSI of oil pressure while cranking. So that looks good.

The only thing I have to do is set the base timing and I think I'll do that while cranking with a timing light. I'll probably need another set of hands to help me with that. I'm not sure if I have to somehow disconnect the tan/black wire to the distributor to prevent the ECU from controlling timing or not. Seems like they should have put a feature in the ECU to disable the control to set base timing. They make an adapter for that but I don't have one, so I may end up putting a switch in the console wiring to disconnect it.

So it's ready to fire up as soon as I can get someone here to witness it. Camera is even ready to go.
    Last edited by chevynut; 10-21-2017 at 02:00 PM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

I just looked at the "Engine Parameters" page in the C950 manual and it has a box that says "Timing advance while cranking". The description says:

"If HEI or TFI is used, the timing during cranking will be the same as
    the base module timing below 400 rpm."

So it looks to me like I can set the base timing while cranking with the fuel pump disabled and not have to cut or disconnect the ignition bypass wire. I'll try that and see how it works out.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Banned

Member #:2775
    Looks like progress, but it sure makes it look like a well tuned simple carburetor is not so bad. While cranking engine to set timing, and priming power steering, it really helps to have all the plugs out. Of course disable spark, and fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    it sure makes it look like a well tuned simple carburetor is not so bad.
    A carburetor is always a "compromise" at just about any RPM. You can't actually "tune" it for a desirable A/F ratio across the entire RPM range, you just adjust the idle mixture and change jets until it "works". It's an antiquated solution, and OEMs haven't used one for over 30 years since EFI took over. Same with a mechanical/vacuum advance distributor. EFI and computer-controlled ignition is far advanced from floats, jets, and springs.

Sure a carb is "simple", if you can call it that, but manual steering is simpler than power steering, manual brakes are simpler than power brakes, and crank windows are simpler than power windows. A hard top is "simpler" than a convertible top too. I know lots of guys still use carbs, and that's fine if that's what they want to use. Never again for me, unless I buy a restored muscle car.

The hardest part so far has been getting the PC to work and talk to the ECU. The rest of the setup has been kinda fun and I like a challenge. I think the final tuning is going to be interesting once I get to that point.

My wife helped me crank the engine while I checked the timing last night. I found out that it's really hard to see the timing tab on the timing chain cover since I painted the whole thing charcoal, and the damper is black. Never thought about that when I painted the timing marks and numbers on the damper white. Plus my PS pump is right in the way so it's hard to get an good angle on it. But as far as I could tell, it looks like I stabbed the distributor in right at 10 degrees advanced. It's close enough to start it up for sure. I plan to paint a white edge on the timing tab so it's easier to see when I go to sync the timing with the ECU. I may have to get one of those remote cameras that interfaces with your phone .

My wife is making a bigger deal out of this than I am. She knows how long I've been working on this chassis and engine and she insists that we have a "startup party" of sorts so she invited a bunch of my friends and neighbors over today at 3PM for beer and food. Come on over if you want to!

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:3217
    I'd suggest a 'pre-party' testing first... Just to avoid any potential for embarrassment..

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    I'd suggest a 'pre-party' testing first... Just to avoid any potential for embarrassment..
    Then it's not the "real thing".

I have compression, I have fuel, I have spark and I have oil pressure. What else do I need? I made sure the engine was on #1 compression when I installed the distributor so it wouldn't be 180 out. I think it will start fine....how well it runs is at the mercy of the Holley program which Doug Flynn (Holley Engineer) assured me would work.

One thing I'm unsure of is they say to "crack" the throttle plates to flow enough air for starting. I have the idle screw in as far as it goes and the plates are barely cracked. I know the IAC is supposed to control the airflow at idle so hopefully the way I have it set up is good.

Also I'm unable to measure the fuel pressure because the pressure test gauge I have won't screw onto the fuel rail. I may have to bend the tube from the fuel rail a little to get it on because it's too close to the upper manifold. But I know the pump is working and the fuel pressure regulator is fixed pressure so I'm assuming it's good. They used some EFI parts off the Vortec 454s on the Ramjet 502s.
    Last edited by chevynut; 10-22-2017 at 11:13 AM.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Banned

Member #:2775
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    A carburetor is always a "compromise" at just about any RPM. You can't actually "tune" it for a desirable A/F ratio across the entire RPM range, you just adjust the idle mixture and change jets until it "works". It's an antiquated solution, and OEMs haven't used one for over 30 years since EFI took over. Same with a mechanical/vacuum advance distributor. EFI and computer-controlled ignition is far advanced from floats, jets, and springs.

Sure a carb is "simple", if you can call it that, but manual steering is simpler than power steering, manual brakes are simpler than power brakes, and crank windows are simpler than power windows. A hard top is "simpler" than a convertible top too. I know lots of guys still use carbs, and that's fine if that's what they want to use. Never again for me, unless I buy a restored muscle car.

The hardest part so far has been getting the PC to work and talk to the ECU. The rest of the setup has been kinda fun and I like a challenge. I think the final tuning is going to be interesting once I get to that point.

My wife helped me crank the engine while I checked the timing last night. I found out that it's really hard to see the timing tab on the timing chain cover since I painted the whole thing charcoal, and the damper is black. Never thought about that when I painted the timing marks and numbers on the damper white. Plus my PS pump is right in the way so it's hard to get an good angle on it. But as far as I could tell, it looks like I stabbed the distributor in right at 10 degrees advanced. It's close enough to start it up for sure. I plan to paint a white edge on the timing tab so it's easier to see when I go to sync the timing with the ECU. I may have to get one of those remote cameras that interfaces with your phone .

My wife is making a bigger deal out of this than I am. She knows how long I've been working on this chassis and engine and she insists that we have a "startup party" of sorts so she invited a bunch of my friends and neighbors over today at 3PM for beer and food. Come on over if you want to!
    No question that a good working fuel injection is better than a old carb. I've had many perfect running engines over the years with a carb, and was never stranded by something a screwdriver, and wrench couldn't easily fix, or tune. Plus just one 12 volt wire pretty much runs the engine, and the carb and ignition self-adjust mechanically. There are lot's of different engines other than automobile that run on carbs great.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 10-22-2017 at 02:44 PM.

Member #:3217
    I was only 'teasing' a little... and I agree... if you have compression, fuel delivery, spark timed properly... it will fire.. *(I always try to be confident when I do this).. and usually it fires immediately...

Well the party was a big success, and so was the firing of the engine.

Everyone got here and we all went out to the shop. I wanted to fire it up through the mufflers with the cutouts closed, but I got out-voted so I opened them.

I had my camera on a tripod and kept telling myself not to forget to turn it on before I turned the key. When everyone got into the shop, I turned the key on and let the fuel pump run, then hit "start".....and I FORGOT TO TURN ON THE CAMERA! Luckily one of my friends recorded it on his phone. The sound quality is pretty bad from the phone but here it is:

I started my camera a few seconds after the engine fired and here's that video:

I'm happy everything went okay, but bummed that I didn't get better video of it. Oh well..... I'll see if I can get a better audio of the engine running and post it.
    Last edited by chevynut; 10-22-2017 at 09:45 PM.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:2442
    When I click on the play button it just says this video is unavailable? Glad you got it started and running. That had to be a great feeling.
    Brian

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast