Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Firing up the Ramjet 502!

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    Head buried in sand.
    Better than head up your ass.

https://bottomlineinc.com/life/car-m...-kind-of-flush

"• Brake fluid flushes. Don’t trust a shop that recommends you flush your brake fluid regularly. Brake fluid can last as long as your vehicle. There are exceptions, however. Your brake fluid might legitimately need to be flushed if moisture gets into the system or the brake fluid has overheated."

You might have a little "moisture" in Houston or elsewhere, but we don't have much. So F* off Toxic Rickie. Nobody asked you about anything. I don't know why you two assholes have to turn every tread of mine into a pissing match with your stupid attacks.

BTW, how's that LS3 coffee table working out for ya?
    Last edited by chevynut; 09-28-2017 at 10:31 AM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:1608

Member #:1608

Member #:3
    just depends where one looks or asks

Replace brake fluidknowlesgallery/iStock/Thinkstock

CARS.COM — The recommended intervals for changing brake fluid are all over the board depending on the manufacturer, from as often as every two years to never. Really.
    For example, Chevrolet says to change the brake fluid on most models every 45,000 miles, but Honda says to do it every three years regardless of the vehicle's mileage. Three years is also the recommended interval for most Volkswagens, but Mercedes-Benz vehicles typically call for fresh fluid every two years or 20,000 miles.
    In contrast, on the Ford Escape, Hyundai Elantra, Toyota Camry and other models from those manufacturers, there are no recommendations for replacing the brake fluid, only instructions to inspect it periodically.
    This leaves it up to the owner to consult what the manufacturer says in their car's maintenance schedule and rely on the advice of a trusted repair shop.
    Brake fluid lives in a sealed system and can survive for years, but moisture from the surrounding air can work its way in through hoses and other parts of the brake system. Water in the brake lines lowers the boiling point of the fluid, so stopping ability can diminish in hard stops as heat in the system increases. In addition, over time the moisture can cause internal corrosion in the brake lines, calipers, the master cylinder and other components.
    Flushing and replacing brake fluid might cost $100 or less on many vehicles, but replacing rusted brake lines and other parts can run several hundreds of dollars, so clearly there's value in keeping up with maintenance.
    As a rule of thumb, it's wise to have the brake fluid inspected and perhaps tested for moisture content every few years and no more than every five if you live in a high-humidity area.
    You might be able to tell it's time for a change by looking to see if the fluid is still fresh. Brake fluid is often light brown in color, but in some vehicles it's clear (at least when new) and will darken with age, becoming murky from water contamination. A better way is to have it tested by a professional for moisture and see what they recommend.
    Brake fluid is as vital to stopping a vehicle as engine oil is to keeping it going, but it doesn't get as much attention as it deserves.

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Banned

Member #:2775
    Brake fluid flushes are always neglected. I try, but never keep at it like I should, and if nothing else every couple years I'll at least vacuum the reservoir and refill. Every 2-3 years complete flush would be best, and don't forget the clutch. Brake fluid does pull in moisture which is bad for corrosion, and boiling point. Hey, it's something to talk about anyway, while we all wait for the 502 to run.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I find it to be an issue on garage queens like my C3 Corvette, things that are not driven regularly don't generate any heat and draw moisture, The more sophisticated the system the more important preventative service is to do.

Member #:3217
    Some of you guys should try be more like ducks.... they let water run off their backs, and you fellas need to learn to let other's suggestions/comments roll off yours... This site will be greatly improved and probably GROW when you learn to do that. Another possibility, if someone says somethign that you just HAVE to respond to.. then do it privately so all the rest of us don't have to read it...

Member #:3
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    Some of you guys should try be more like ducks.... they let water run off their backs, and you fellas need to learn to let other's suggestions/comments roll off yours... This site will be greatly improved and probably GROW when you learn to do that. Another possibility, if someone says somethign that you just HAVE to respond to.. then do it privately so all the rest of us don't have to read it...
    I 110% Agree with you !!!!!!

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Member #:1653
    So, aside from the past banter regarding Brake Fluid and the Do's and Don'ts, is it running yet? We want live proof BTW..................................LOL Proof of Life!

Member #:115
    Got a little sidetracked from starting up the engine since I had to find and install the PS reservoir and lines, which required me to paint all of my radiator support panels so I didn't have to remove a bunch of stuff to install them later. I had to machine a custom fitting to adapt the PS pump input to an AN10 hose end and assembled the rest of the hoses. I also did a little re-wiring and wired up the passenger side horn since the wires are hidden and run inside the panels from the driver's side. Got all that done and bought some Redline Syntheric PS fluid and filled the reservoir.

20171017_005 (1).JPG

Today I finished up installing the lower radiator hose clamps and I decided NOT to use a Gates shrink clamp on the water pump end. You can hardly see it and it will be easier to remove the hose if ever needed by removing the Breeze clamp.

Then I pulled the distributor and installed the oil primer and quickly got 65 PSI with the 1/2" drill on it. So at least the pump works and there's no internal leaks. It took a total of 8 quarts to get the oil level right on the dipstick.

I have a few minor things left to do before actually firing the engine. I have the laptop powered up and still need to install the C950 program and the 502 maps, then load them into the ECU and verify. I have to figure out how to set the TPS since it's sitting there loose and I think I do that through the C950 software. Just before running it I want to prime the engine again and then I need to install the distributor, cap, and plug wires and set the base timing. Still trying to figure out how to do that . I plan to connect the starter cable to the battery to make sure it cranks okay without the fuel pump running or ignition powered up. Just want to make sure everything works the way it's supposed to before it runs.

I plan to video the first startup when I have everything checked out. Hopefully it all works and fires up with no issues.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast