Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seamless frame/chassis from 57 Nomad -No Rust For Sale..

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Member #:3217

Seamless frame/chassis from 57 Nomad -No Rust For Sale..

In the next couple of weeks, I will be lifting my 57 Nomad body off it's original chassis and it's original rolling chassis will be for sale. This is a '57 Nomad chassis (same as sedans and wagons and with a simple mod or two will work for hardtops also). It is from a Los Angeles built Nomad which spent it's time in southern California, and then Texas prior to being sold to Nashville, Tn area about 10 yrs ago where it began a restoration before I purchased the car earlier this year. The chassis is complete with a 3.55:1 rear end (feels good), Power steering box with power Cylinder, pitman arm linkage, front and rear suspensions, original '57 Nomad wheels (old wide white tires), and spinner wheel covers. The frame is a "smooth" seamless California frame with NO rust! I'm in the north Alabama area not far from southern TN. If you have interest in this PM me or call or email me and we will work out a deal good for you. I would consider delivery within a reasonable distance..

Gary Wylie

Member #:1653
    Price might help generate more interest.

I finally finished with helping out my neighbor on her new garage; the epoxy floor coating was the last step for me except for assisting her on some small stuff...

With Dick's assistance, I worked on the 57 Nomad today; we agreed on a *different* design for the fuel tank (which means I won't have to cut the storage box out as I was thinking); so I called Rick's and hopefully they are working on a quote/feedback on these new tank dimensions.

We also brainstormed and agreed on a design for the parking brake, and we began some fab work on that today. Basically, I'd wanted to use the factory handbrake, and recently had noticed that the original handbrake bracketry would bolt to the body and fit UNDER the driveshat and I began wondering if I could make the rear Lokar components work to the original lever (under the driveshaft). We brainstormed that and made some small brackets to bolt to the frame and hold the cables in position... Hopefully I can finish this in the next few days and i'll make a detailed post to show how it will mount/work. The handbrake should work like the original except for the disk brakes in the rear and the rear 'Lokar' cables... we'll see..
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 03-08-2018 at 06:07 AM.

I bought the kit recommended; the Lokar 'Wilwood Clevis Kit' EC-80WC, and I agree with you... I didn't think it was designed very well for the Corvette calipers... Something much more simple and easier to install would have worked better...

I've priced it to our local chevy club members for $700 as it comes out from under... complete as described... but I have INCENTIVE to pass it along quickly as I have no indoor storage for it once removed...

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    I've priced it to our local chevy club members for $700 as it comes out from under... complete as described... but I have INCENTIVE to pass it along quickly as I have no indoor storage for it once removed...
    That's a close figure complete.

Member #:115
    Too bad you're not closer. I am out of seamless frames right now.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Yes, I have some concern too, but there is a 6:1 leverage advantage in the stock lever. I think some people have made a shorter lever (with less advantage) for mounting on the frame rail, and I'm told they worked...? I didn't like the long routing of the passenger side Lokar cable to get it over to the driver frame rail for the 'normal' Lokar arrangement. If I have to, I can redrill the long lever to reduce/increase the leverage to adjust the leverage/throw of the Pbrake.

OK.. It's time to get out in the shop and see if I can find all the bolts to finish up that job..

We had a nice day today, no rain in sight, so this afternoon I moved the 56 Nomad, pushed the 57 Nomad onto the lift and began the 'unhooking' of the body from the original chassis... body mounts, removed the steering box/shaft, and prepared to lift the body off the original chassis. After moving out the old chassis (with some pushing help from my wife and neighbors), we pushed the new chassis out of the adjacent bay and back in under the Nomad body... I've got the body/chassis pretty well lined up to drop and body mounts in place, and hopefully will complete the drop tomorrow... I only had 3 hrs this afternoon since I h ad to quit and clean up to go out... (celebrating the neighbor lady's 71st birthday - she's the lady who I've been helping with her new garage and she also helped me push today!)..

I'm very anxious to see it 'all the way down' on the chassis' (tomorrow?), but something tells me I should install the engine/trans harnesses before I complete the drop...

Here's some photos if they come thru... PS. Frame is sold...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 10-12-2017 at 08:50 PM.

Member #:115
    Looking great Bamanomad! Those wheels look great on it.

I'm wondering if you'll have any interference with the front of the upper dogbones and the floor. My chassis usually have slight interference there but I lower the rear of the car as much as I can, and keep the upper dogbone pretty much level.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast