Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: 57 FI

Member #:3301

57 FI

Been off this site for a bit but wanted to update the group as to happening this summer. My 57 is a crowd pleaser, I showed it several times and I'm amazed at the comments it receives. Having an absolute stock 57 with the very few options it has is quite unusual as there are so many aftermarket performance item available to improve these cars. But mine is stock, unmodified - until now. I mentioned earlier that when I bought this car it had been in someones collection for 30 years, the speedometer showed less than 300 miles since restoration. It ran poorly, and used oil. The fix has involved a complete new fuel system, gas cap to FI. I removed the engine to address the engine bay, repainted the engine and reassembled it. It runs well but still uses oil, smokes out the exhaust under hard acceleration and fouls the plugs. It uses a quart of oil per tank of gas under spirited driving.

The weather is about to turn dog shit here in Seattle so this weekend I decided to work on the beast. I have been in discussions with a local engine rebuilder and have a game plan to rebuild the little 283, mainly to stop the oil consumption and plug fouling but also to retain the stock appearance and looks. This engine guy appears to know his stuff and will need the 283 for up to six months - he's busy. Meanwhile in my garage I have an L79 as removed from my 65 Chevelle. This is a 0.060' over 327 with 11.0:1 pistons that is advertised at 350 HP, a good runner but made only 250 HP at the wheels, (the 283 FI made 182 HP at the wheels). So I installed the 327 in my 57 with the FI system on it, drove it yesterday and made few full throttle runs in first and second gear - great fun.

Keep in mind that my frame of reference is 1962 when I had a 57 Chev and installed a new 327 in it at 17 years of age. It was very fast for the day, I never lost a race and I raced it often on the street. So here we are today or yesterday as it were and I have the 57 running with this 327 in it. The wife and I drove down to the beach for a walk-about and on the way home I hammered it in first gear. Wow! First thing that happened is the tach winds up to 6,000 RPM in first gear in about 2 seconds, I'm steering quickly as the tires are spinning (it is dry pavement) and as I look in the rear view mirror I see smoke from the tires. The 283 would not do this but the 327 does!

Point is I have more HP with the 327 than the little 283. Horse-power is like new sex, it is addictive. So I'll run with the 327 until the 283 is rebuilt and then I don't know what I'll do. I may pickle the 283 until it is time to sell the car and I may reinstall it. Choices - choices.

I'm trying to post a picture so i hope it shows up...
    Al

Member #:530
    Great story Al. Keep the 327 in there and drive it.
    Keep the matching #'s 283 on hand so that when you go to sell it, you have added that much more value.
    Post some pics please.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Member #:115
    I'm usually not that hung up on keeping "original" stuff but in your case with the FI engine I think it makes sense to do so. Your car is a special one.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

57 FI

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    I'm usually not that hung up on keeping "original" stuff but in your case with the FI engine I think it makes sense to do so. Your car is a special one.
    Thanks for the kind words chevynut. I must say that your contributions to this site are immense (8,000+), you have an amazing amount of knowledge that you regularly share with all of us, thank you for that.

WagonCrazy asked for some more pictures so I'll try to do that of the temporary 327 installation. I've had to use different valve covers on this engine as the cast iron 2.02" heads are later editions that do not accept the stamped steel 57 vintage covers. I located a set of 'Corvette finned covers' that did not come on the car when new. So the engine has a different look to it. See the pictures - I hope...

The other new item is a I have a 3 speed (manual) transmission with overdrive coming for it. With a 4.56:1 axle I'm seeing 3500+ RPM at highway speeds and is not a good driver. The overdrive is a 30% reduction so with 3rd over I should be looking a under 2500 RPM. I had one of these back in the day and liked it a lot.
    Cheers
    Al

57 FI

Quote Originally Posted by alhewitt View Post
    Thanks for the kind words chevynut. I must say that your contributions to this site are immense (8,000+), you have an amazing amount of knowledge that you regularly share with all of us, thank you for that.

WagonCrazy asked for some more pictures so I'll try to do that of the temporary 327 installation. I've had to use different valve covers on this engine as the cast iron 2.02" heads are later editions that do not accept the stamped steel 57 vintage covers. I located a set of 'Corvette finned covers' that did not come on the car when new. So the engine has a different look to it. See the pictures - I hope...

The other new item is a I have a 3 speed (manual) transmission with overdrive coming for it. With a 4.56:1 axle I'm seeing 3500+ RPM at highway speeds and is not a good driver. The overdrive is a 30% reduction so with 3rd over I should be looking a under 2500 RPM. I had one of these back in the day and liked it a lot.
    Cheers
    Al
    Someone please give me a tutorial on how to post pictures...
    Thanks
    Al

Member #:530
    HOW TO POST PIC(S) DIRECTLTY FROM YOUR COMPUTER:

In the Quick Reply box (bottom of your screen below the last persons post), click on the "Insert Image" icon:
    Screen Shot 2017-10-02 at 6.16.16 AM.jpg

Then choose the image you want to include. In this case, the image I chose is on the Desktop folder...
    Screen Shot 2017-10-02 at 6.18.09 AM.jpg

Then follow the prompts as shown to post it.
    Screen Shot 2017-10-02 at 6.23.19 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-10-02 at 6.24.52 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-10-02 at 6.25.41 AM.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.