Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Power steering box

Registered Member

Member #:3564

Power steering box

I have a leaking 605 steering box. Repair or replace? I have heard of a cpp box that bolts right in. Yes or No? Nice to be on this site. I have a 57 sedan delivery hotrod. It is a 20 year old build and in need of some tlc. I am starting with the leaking steering box. Any help or comments appreciated. Thanks Guys and Gals.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    The CPP 500 box is a direct replacement for the 605 conversion. The only consistent problem with the CPP box is that it sometimes leaks at the high pressure fitting. This has gone on quite a while and they have a fitting seat that cures it but for unknown reasons these boxes sometimes get shipped without the "good" seat fitting. They will supply the "good" seat if you ask for it.

Borgeson also makes a box that's similar. Difference is that the CPP500 is a Chinese copy of a Delphi 670 box but the housing is custom for the 55-57 car, where the Borgeson is a real Delphi box that has a modified/welded housing to do the same thing. It does take a different rag joint as the input shaft is "double D" where the 605 and CPP500 are splined.

Member #:2021
    Good thing i dropped by- i have a brand new CPP500 (last week)installed.No more than i may get to drive this 55. Chinese copy should be good . bob s

if she leaks i will know why RickL bob s