Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1957 4 door Chevy Bel Air very rusty how much is it worth?

Member #:3566

1957 4 door Chevy Bel Air very rusty how much is it worth?

Hello

I have been looking at this 1957 Chevy Bel Air and I am not sure if its worth fixing up any suggestions greatly appreciated. This is a black and gray car frame is in good shape how body very rusty with a lot of holes see pics any advice welcome.

Pete

Member #:530
    Gonna be very honest with you here...

If you have all the spare time and money you need, and have a burning desire to commit to alot of time and effort and money on sheetmetal work, and have nothing better to do, then by all means...buy an old car that needs all this much body work to fix. But frankly, if you can see this much rot visibly...then there is a ot more that lurks beneath paint and bondo.

This one's got serious issues if the rocker panels are that bad...

Personally, I'd pay about whatever the resale value on the stainless trim and VIN tag is worth on this car only. (and for me, thats less than $1000...running or not). Especially since it's a 4 door. Not high value to start with in my opinion.

Find a 2 door tri5 that has very little rust evident on the usual spots (rockers, around window frames, trunk floor, etc), and work a deal out with the seller to buy it. You'll be miles ahead on the time and effort equation.

Just my opinion of course, having been thru a few old cars and lucky enough to avoid the rusted out ones...
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCrazy View Post
    Gonna be very honest with you here...

If you have all the spare time and money you need, and have a burning desire to commit to alot of time and effort and money on sheetmetal work, and have nothing better to do, then by all means...buy an old car that needs all this much body work to fix. But frankly, if you can see this much rot visibly...then there is a ot more that lurks beneath paint and bondo.

This one's got serious issues if the rocker panels are that bad...

Personally, I'd pay about whatever the resale value on the stainless trim and VIN tag is worth on this car only. (and for me, thats less than $1000...running or not). Especially since it's a 4 door. Not high value to start with in my opinion.

Find a 2 door tri5 that has very little rust evident on the usual spots (rockers, around window frames, trunk floor, etc), and work a deal out with the seller to buy it. You'll be miles ahead on the time and effort equation.

Just my opinion of course, having been thru a few old cars and lucky enough to avoid the rusted out ones...
    I think this one is too far gone..

Member #:115
    IMO virtually ANY tri5 you find that hasn't had metal replaced is going to need new complete floors and inner and outer rockers. That's almost a given with these cars. A floor with inner rockers is around $800 plus labor to install it. Rockers are a couple hundred bucks and labor.

One picture isn't enough to see what the car is worth, nor how rusty it is imo. So forget about the rust in the floors, braces, and rockers and decide if the rest is too far gone to fix. That's how I'd look at it.

But as Paul said, keep in mind the value of 4-door sedans is quite a bit lower than 2-doors. I've seen some pretty nice 2-door projects on eBay lately that look pretty solid. It's worth more to fix up a 2-door whether a sedan or Hardtop in the long run. But the value of 4-door cars is going up too. A real nice 4-door might go for $10-15K while a similar 2-door is more like $25-30K.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:2643
    I'm with the others. If you're going to invest money in a tri-five, start with a 2 door.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    4 doors equal parts car, cost as much to build and worth a whole lot less.

1957 Chevy $ door more pics...

Hello

the second time I looked at it the 57 Chevy it was worse...This car is a used by Truly Nolan which they use cars to do their advertising with. This car runs and drives and has its original 283. However, its sat outside for 10 years in the Florida weather...This one was close to the water...Sea air is a killer on sheet metal...The driverside is more rusty than the passengerside. This tells me the driverside was getting mist of the sea salt air...Drip rails on roof are rotted in spots. A lot of holes in this car. They are pretty FIRM at $5900.00. I personally not sure if its worth that.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    With all the rust on the roof area and around the rear window (probably the front windshield too even if not visible), plus the other obvious rust - this is not a restorable car in any kind of practical sense. It is probably not even worth $1000 as a parts car.

In many areas of the country, you can buy a running driving 4 door sedan for $6-8k that may not be perfect but will be far better than that car. Or for maybe a bit more, a 2 door sedan that's a rolling car but a project.

Regardless, you can do better.

Member #:2442
    If the frame is solid, which if may not be if the body is that rusty it's worth what a rolling chassis and running gear is worth, Maybe $1,000. like Rick said. Better off finding a car that doesn't have all the rust even if you have to pay more for it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast