Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Repainting a steering wheel

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by Belair-o View Post
    BTW, I am down the road from you, down in Franktown.Thanks, Doug
    The guy who I'm working on Hemi55 for lives in Castle Rock. If you need to do some painting feel free to come up and try one of my guns or just to chat and have a beer sometime....I'm retired so I'm almost always home.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:2643
    This one looks decent, and the price is hard to beat. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BEH3JF0...511407090&sr=1

Member #:1723
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    The guy who I'm working on Hemi55 for lives in Castle Rock. If you need to do some painting feel free to come up and try one of my guns or just to chat and have a beer sometime....I'm retired so I'm almost always home.
    Thanks for the kind offer! I will keep all that in mind.
    Thanks! Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Bitchin'57 View Post
    This one looks decent, and the price is hard to beat. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BEH3JF0...511407090&sr=1
    Wow, that price is insane! Thanks for the link!
    Thanks, Doug

Chevynut,
    BTW, it would be great to see your setup in person, both your shop, and your amazing 56 Nomad build!
    Thanks, Doug

Painted the Steering Wheel

I was finally able to get in the shop and finish repainting my steering wheel. I had primed it w/SEM flexible primer (rattle can). The following pic shows my crude little painting jig. There is a through horizontal hole in the 2x2, and a blind vertical hole. I sprayed the primer with the wheel mounted horizontally (not as shown in the following image), flipping the all-thread in the hole, to paint the top and bottom of the wheel.

I then used my spray gun to shoot two coats of the PPG base, followed by three coats of the clear, by mounting the wheel horizontally in the jig, spraying the bottom of the wheel, flipping the all-thread end-for-end, and spraying the top of the wheel. Praise be, I think it turned out better this time - I don't see any runs, and seems pretty smooth:

Thanks for your help and encouragement on this! I also repainted the pieces for the upper part of the steering column, so after the paint cures a bit, I can reassemble the column, re-install it and the seals around the column base, and move on to hooking up the shift indicator rod, and adjusting the shift linkage.
    Regards, Doug
    Last edited by Belair-o; 11-24-2017 at 03:19 PM. Reason: can't spell

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Looks like a good cheap user friendly setup, and maybe you didn't need that small paint gun after all.

On the other hand the Amazon link touch up gun looks too good to pass up. I have a cheap touch gun with a suction feed cup. Sprays very well for the money. If that one would even come close to matching, it would be worth. Plus no biggie if it's no good.

Hi Rick,
    I totally agree on the wee gun, looks like a sweet deal. At this point though, now that I am retired, I am trying to not buy anything that I don't have to, even though I seem to break that rule weekly!
    Regards, Doug

Registered Member

Member #:1806
    Nice job on the steering wheel, and especially cutting the threaded rod long enough to have it stick out on both ends so you could flip it over.
    This goes to the point that Chevy nut was talking about, if more of us would post, then we would see many other good ideas like this---and make the site more interesting.

Thanks Lee - I appreciate that!
    I tried to walk the line on the all-thread length, just long enough to keep the wheel about an inch above the jig (in both positions), so it would be as short as reasonable to minimize getting in the way of the spray gun.
    Thanks, Doug

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast