Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Brake pedal mounting bracket assembly

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Registered Member

Member #:532

Brake pedal mounting bracket assembly

Is the bracket that runs from the dash to the firewall that mounts the brake and clutch Pedals and steering column the same on all 55s, 56s, and 57s?

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrass Trifive View Post
    Is the bracket that runs from the dash to the firewall that mounts the brake and clutch Pedals and steering column the same on all 55s, 56s, and 57s?
    Just looked this up in the assembly manuals. To my surprise 56 and 57 braces share the same part number, 3725308. 55 has a different part number 3709714 but I'm almost positive they interchange since the dash and firewall are identical. Not sure what could be different.

So yes, they're all the same.... I learned something.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I would have expected the 57 one to be different, if any. I'm kind of surprised.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Just looked this up in the assembly manuals. To my surprise 56 and 57 braces share the same part number, 3725308. 55 has a different part number 3709714 but I'm almost positive they interchange since the dash and firewall are identical. Not sure what could be different.

So yes, they're all the same.... I learned something.
    I had seen the part number difference in assembly manual before too but honestly they look to be the same. I've installed a Hot Rod Dynamics smoothed firewall and the bracket is coming up short of reaching the fire wall by about 5/16". No big deal as I need to add a stiffening plate anyhow but it seems a little excessive. My bigger worry is my Flaming River column protruding far enough through the firewall on the engine side to catch the trim ball mount. I could move it to the inside but I want to cover up and seal the column to the firewall on the outside. Sounds like I need to do some more measuring!

Member #:1653
    I'm doing a 57, using the FW from HRD. I followed their instructions and used a plate as indicated in many of their shared images of the install along with the mentioned ball and an FR unit with no issues specific to the column protrusion.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by NCW View Post
    I'm doing a 57, using the FW from HRD. I followed their instructions and used a plate as indicated in many of their shared images of the install along with the mentioned ball and an FR unit with no issues specific to the column protrusion.
    I don't think I have any issue at all with the firewall itself, the install being very straight forward. What length column are you using and is the ball mount the Flaming River Trifive specific plate style or the round more universal one?

Member #:115
    Can't you just push the column down so the steering wheel is closer to the instrument cluster? That's what I did. I have a 35" column. I'm using a 32" column on the Hemi55.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:571
    The only deal on moving the column like that is if you are going to run a power steering box. It will pretty much dictate what you can do because it's so close to the firewall.

If you want to use a street rod style swivel ball mount with a p/s box, you'll have to trim the ball and use a 1/4" or so plate instead of a ball cover.

Registered Member

I have a standard length column which if I remember correctly is 32". I'm going to try to move it down but I may have to modify the instrument panel bezel length to do that which isn't really a big deal. I'm running a C4 front suspension and rack so the interference with the steering box wont be an issue for me. I'll work some more on it over the weekend and try to get it sorted out. My main concern was to make sure the pedal bracket was correct before I started trimming anything to force things to work.