Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: New 283 SBC Break in

Registered Member

Member #:3477

New 283 SBC Break in

Hello Folks:

I am prepping my fresh 283 to start.

Everything was lubed on assembly.I have everything set and its at TDC. My question is whether I need to prime the oil pump and oil galleys? Opinions differ on this. Can I just spin the motor without the coil attached and watch the mechanical oil pressure gauge give me a reading or do I need to pull the distributor again, pull the valve covers, prime the oil pump with a prime tool until the rockers squirt and then rotate 180 degrees and zip the pump again?

I would think with a well lubed motor, spinning for about 10-15 seconds would give me my oil prime, but maybe I am wrong.

Just curious what the best handling should be. I don't remember using a priming tool on the last SBC I built but that was a while back.

Thx

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Always a good idea to prime the oil system, at least until you get some pressure on the gauge - either by spinning it with the starter (remove the spark plugs and disable the ignition if you do it that way), or by removing the distributor and spinning the oil pump with a drill motor. Better yet to prime with the tool/drill motor until you see oil at every rocker arm. You need to rotate the engine by hand if you do it this way.

The "best handling" is to do it until you see oil at every rocker. Do you have to? No, unless something is wrong. So it's a risk you take. If everything is good you may not need it. If there's a problem, you can fix it before you get collateral damage.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I always do as Rick stated above. Good Plan.