Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: New member

Member #:1694

Hi all, time to introduce my self.
    I did register in 2013, but haven't introduced my self.

I'm Nick, living in the Netherlands and I'm almost done with my 57 Chevy.

Thanks,

Nick

Member #:1608
    Welcome aboard Nick...glad your hear. Please share some pics.

Joey

Member #:3
    Welcome Back Nick !!

Share some pictures Please

Thanks Sid

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Well i had the car running and driving last year, but the engine decided to want some attention to

Now i'm working on the 57 283 engine, it's still the 57 283 with a lunati voodoo 60100 cam , KB165 pistons and trickflow 175 heads with an Edelbrock 2703 intake. All painted engine orange. At the moment there is a holley 08007 390 cfm on top, but that might be a bit small. So there is a holley Brawler 570cfm floating this way.
    I'm currently working on getting the ignition correct. The distributor is a 1973 454 aluminium version. I cant get the advance curve the way i want. Somehow the mechanical advance seems limited even with soft springs.

Banned

Member #:2941
    Welcome to the forum, Nick! Beautiful car you have there! Your parts combination should work very well with your '57 283 engine. The only odd piece I see is the distributor. Beginning in 1972, compression ratios dropped, camshaft and distributor specs changed and engines performed horribly compared to 1971 and earlier. This was all due to lower octane unleaded gasoline being required for engines that were 'smogged' (emissions standards trumped performance and economy) and in anticipation of catalytic converters being required beginning in 1974. So its not surprising that your 1973 454 distributor has incorrect curve and settings for your earlier 283 engine.

I have had several distributors rebuilt, recurved, converted to magnetic pickup for use with an MSD capicitive discharge ignition box, etc. by a fellow here in the States. He does great work and actually specializes in small body HEI conversions, but has quite a backlog, so it takes a while to get your distributor back sometimes. If you want his contact info, send me a PM. Otherwise, your best bet is to locate a stock rebuilt GM distributor for Chevy 283,327 or 350 V-8 dating from 1957 to 1968. There are aftermarket distributors available of course, but you will be getting a generic 'performance' ignition curve that may...... Or may not...... Be right for your particular engine as you have set it up.

Best regards and good luck,

Harry

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    hi Nick and welcome. good to see you (back) here.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Member #:1723
    Nick,
    Welcome to the site! Nice looking car, and sounds like you are having fun with it. The pic looks great! With the lighting, I am not sure, is that Dusk Pearl, or?
    Welcome, Doug

Yes this is dusk pearl, with a slight modification. The mix i found was a bit grey, now it pops a bit more.
    This is the current color.
    These pictures are almost 4 years old already.

For the distributor, it does have a 522 CCW cam plate in it, so it should give 22* crank advance. The thing is as soon as i install the weights the advance moves a bit, so there is less left of the 22* to advance.
    If you look at the pins on top, with no weights these are almost in line, with the weights installed the advance has already started. So there is less left.

Member #:1608
    Man that is a different color and your right...it pops