Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: 2017 Metalshaping class at MP&C shop

Member #:2017

2017 Metalshaping class at MP&C shop

We took a short break from the wagon as we were getting set up for a metalshaping class at the shop a couple weeks ago. Here's some highlights..

Our guest instructor this year was Pat Brubaker of Custom Rides in Hastings Nebraska. We focused on minimal tools this year. A largely forgotten tool that is (was) seen in many shops is the arbor press. Pat has developed a die set to use in the arbor press that makes it an invaluable tool to have in your metalshaping arsenal.

This video shows tuck shrinking, much the same as using the stump, but here using less impact for less stress added to the panel..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUQghpUVohU

Pete Hagan brought some 2002 BMW front fenders to practice with, one having a noticeable dent in the front..

Here we match up one of the dies to match the crown of the rear of the fender, and try our hand at removing a dent using the arbor press.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oI9U0YJS9E

It did a good job of removing the majority of the damage, and more importantly, without adding any more stretch. Minimal work at this point would have this ready for paint.

We also discussed various pattern techniques, and the benefits realized with each one. One of the class participants, Laser with a Z, had brought a 1961 Impala front valance to duplicate, as it had many rust issues.

Some of the rust issues were filled with clay in order to get a more accurate pattern.

Flexible shape patterns show better the amount of shape in the panel, and paper patterns were used to get an accurate read on panel material size.

The replacement panel was made in two pieces and welded together. Laser did a nice job of welding, note the consistent width in the HAZ for minimal distortion..

Comparison:

Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Member #:2017
    Jake's project for the class was a replacement for our practice fan shroud from last month.. The rear edge was unfinished, so we aimed to fix that, and also make it out of aluminum to better match the radiator.

To finish off the rear edge, we chose to add a bead to the edge and a hemmed flange to close it off, keeping the hem flat so as not to interfere with the fan.

The beads were added, flanges tipped to attach to the baffle panel, and the linear stretch dies in the Lennox used to stretch the correct outer radius.

We attempted various welding methods to attach the shroud to the baffle plates. The spot welder lacked the balls to make the welds, and TIG spot welds or weld passes seemed to add more distortion to our practice pieces than the precise circle we had rolled would tolerate. So we used some stainless hardware and nylock nuts to hold the parts together..

Here are some videos of the installed shroud..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSQf_V4Jyi8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZQBxsxkorQ

Some of the tips and tricks shared at the class, here is a table "extension" for a band saw to permit cutting of crowned panels SAFELY..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNjxTbD4VrQ

Charlie has been to our class three years in a row, and he is a pretty sharp cookie. Like some of us and getting older, he has the unfortunate issue of arthritis in his hands, and finds difficulty in using hand snips. In much the same fashion as the Beverly shears, Charlie modified a pair of right angle Midwest shears to use a handle for easier operation..

Action video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLr76hsdIxM

Material capacity stays the same, operation just becomes a bit easier, especially for those with arthritis conditions..
    Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Member #:1653
    Splendid Class, wish I was closer.

Member #:3
    Great Class , I also Wish I was closer , Thank you Robert for taking the time to Post all your Stuff ,

I hope it get's the young ones out there thinking & get more involve it this type of work .

There's Not many kids wanting to learn this stuff .

We have a VTL here that is a 1950's Manual machine It will Swing 188" . We have a really hard Time finding Guys that can run it .
    They all come in here and Say Yes I can run a VTL then when you asked them can they run a Manual machine they say OH I can only Run a CNC

Thanks Sid

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by 567chevys View Post
    Great Class , I also Wish I was closer , Thank you Robert for taking the time to Post all your Stuff ,

I hope it get's the young ones out there thinking & get more involve it this type of work .

There's Not many kids wanting to learn this stuff .

We have a VTL here that is a 1950's Manual machine It will Swing 188" . We have a really hard Time finding Guys that can run it .
    They all come in here and Say Yes I can run a VTL then when you asked them can they run a Manual machine they say OH I can only Run a CNC

Thanks Sid
    LOL, I can't recall how many times I've heard that same song and dance. I'm a machinist, right, go make me a part on that Bridgeport............................... lol