Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Cable Guide Restoration??

Member #:3217

Cable Guide Restoration??

This week, I realized that one of the Cable Guides was left on the 57 Nomad I purchased when it was painted (red) along with the car. When I tried to remove it, I found out why; one of the screws turned and the 'weldnut' behind it was turning with it! and the other screw head was buggered up because the screw was apparently rusted into the weldnut. After drilling out both of these screws and cleaning the threads of the one weldnut, I soaked the painted cable guide in lacquer thinner for a few hours trying to soften up the urethane paint (It really surprised me how little the lacquer thinner affected the urethane paint!).. but I finally got the paint off and then did some grinding and sanding on both of the cable guides to alleviate the wear grooves caused by the cables over the years. I then thought of Mike's 'polished stainless steel cable guides', so I went to his website ... but the $220 price is pushing me to 'restore' the ones I have... I'm thinking of doing some more sanding/polishing to smooth the originals up and then perhaps painting them to make them look better; maybe cast iron paint? or stainless steel or 'chrome' paint?? What do you fellas think? Have any of you found a great way to restore/refinish the original cable guides?

PS. Once I refinish these parts, I plan to use a 'cement' or epoxy to 'glue' another nut in place of the missing one; I'm thinking it will hold long enough to get the new screws started and tightened... What say you fellas about that idea? What do you suggest (besides welding- since the car is already painted, I don't want to weld on it)..

Registered Member

Member #:3602
    This what I used to replace the nut.
    https://www.google.com/search?authus....0.qNNJ1zu9TYQ
    (from Harbor Freight)

Thanks Jimmee, I'd come to that conclusion myself.. I went to HF to buy one, but they were out and *refurbishing* the store,and I haven't yet b ought one. I would like to buy a higher quality nutsert tool than the HF one, but not sure which are the best..

Member #:40
    Hope u reconsider on ours. They last longer than originals as far as the cable wear and they look better than any other option . Not even close. One of my favorite parts and Our customers love them . The price is prolly the only unappealing thing with these. If they were free everyone would want them
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MadMooks 55-57 Nomad Parts
    www.madmooks.com

Member #:530
    I have a set of MadMooks stainless cable guides. Hands down, better than the original steel ones.
    Just give him the biz...you wont' be unhappy with them.
    Wrap it up for yourself if you need to justify the purchase.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Thanks for the endorsement Paul. I’ll be touching base with you soon on the door strikers and possibly a hood striker.
    www.madmooks.com

Member #:115
    I'll probably end up getting Madmooks' cable guides along with most everything else. Everything I've bought so far has been top-notch stuff. Years ago (in the 70's) I had all my tailgate parts and door latches chrome plated and they look pretty good so it's been hard to commit to new ones. I'll probably end up selling the chromed parts to help cover the cost of all that stainless stuff.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:530
    I'll probably end up selling the chromed parts to help cover the cost of all that stainless stuff.
    Bama...you paying attention? Looks like you may have a couple of options here...
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCrazy View Post
    Bama...you paying attention? Looks like you may have a couple of options here...
    Yep, I'm paying a little attention (a few min a day online); the rest of the time sleeping in my recliner as I've been sick all week... When/if CN puts his chromed parts up for sale, I might be interested.. in the meantime, I'll polish and parkerize the ones I have for comparison purposes.. and I might even end up buying a pair of Mike's gold parts...

Just to tease 🙂
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.madmooks.com