Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Dakota VHX 55C Gauges

Registered Member

Member #:3590

Dakota VHX 55C Gauges

Hello Everyone!! So i am thinking about putting the Dakota 55C VHX gauges in my 56 Bel Air. It has the original Gauges in but i am not sure if the speedo works because they did an LS swap with a 4L60E transmission. The 4L60E has the digital connector on it so i would have to change the tailpiece and get a new cable..So at this point i might as well get the Dakota. Does anyone have the Dakota VHX? How was the installation? Was the kit complete? I have a Red and Black interior so i was thinkin of going with the Alloy Black with Red lighting. I guess durin the daytime it looks like the lettering is white? Let me know your experiences with this. ALSO do any of the vendors that sponsor on the board carry the Dakota VHX?

Thanks,
    Keith R

Member #:115
    I bought a set a while ago. I hate red lighting and blue bothers my eyes so I went with the white lighting which looks like a lot of the oem gauges. I haven’t powered them up yet. Installation is simpl but you need to find a place to mount the computer. You don’t hook anything to the gauge cluster except the computer cable. Even the matching clock, which I got, is driven by the computer. Sensors are included. I bought New bezels too even though I have a couple of sets of nice ones. I got mine on eBay from a dealer at a really good price as he was taking offers. It was shipped directly from DD. I think they’re the best gauges on the market.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:3590
    Ok Thanks Chevynut!! I will check Ebay too!!

Registered Member

Member #:3682
    I have also installed the VHX in a 56 2dr HT with an LS3 motor. As CN indicates, they are easy to install.

One thing that can be a problem is location of sensors. You may have to drill and tap a boss for the oil sensor (above the oil filter) since there’s only one at the rear of the LS block (generally used by the engine ECU). Each head also has a location for a coolant sensor, but if you need 3 (engine, VHX, separate fan controller), you’ll need to tap the water pump housing or output hose.

Member #:2442
    For a second oil sender you can just add a tee fitting if its 1/8" pipe thread like the original small block Chevys. i had in tee in mine years ago so I could have the original oil light and an oil pressure gauge. If you use a Dakota Digital fan controller I think that can use the same sender as the gauges so you would only need 2 senders.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by TrifiveRichard View Post
    Each head also has a location for a coolant sensor, but if you need 3 (engine, VHX, separate fan controller), you’ll need to tap the water pump housing or output hose.
    The VHX takes one coolant temp sensor and it can also be used to feed a DD 2750 fan controller. The instrument cluster connects to the fan controller via the serial interface (BIM), thus eliminating the need for another sensor.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:571
    The simpler way to go seems to be to use the Dakota Digital BIM module if you have an LS engine. No need for extra/different sensors from the ones already there - to even run the gauges, let alone the fan controller.

The DD fan controller still needs a relay package to control a dual fan/dual speed setup. I recently purchased a package to provide dual fan/dual speed control in my LS3 crate engine fuse/relay box. It provides the 3 relays needed. They also have a splice in harness to allow the fan to be triggered by the a/c. Got it from pcmofnc.com. You have to use HPTuners or EFILive to program the fan set temps.

Registered Member

Member #:3682
    Sounds like good options, thanks for the info guys
    Last edited by TrifiveRichard; 03-11-2018 at 08:30 PM.