Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Tops57

Registered Member

Member #:3630

Tops57

Have 57 Belair 4 door sedan Black 1967 327 mild cam 700R4 transmission out of 91 impala I want to put power steering on would like to hear good suggestions..experinces [ATTACH]81438304054514.jpg087[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    hi Tops and welcome. good to have you here. good looking 57 too.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Member #:3606
    Like most, I put one of the CPP 500 power steering boxes on. I like the way it drives. The hardest part of the project is dealing with the steering column and shift tube. If you use the original they have to be shortened. I shortened mine but it has been a while and I can't remember how much but about 3". There are some issues on some cars with everything fitting between the firewall and the steering box and CPP is now offering a shorter rag joint to help with that. Getting the shifter linkage arm on the column can be a little tricky too because the location moves up so close to the firewall. You can avoid some of these issues and buy a column already made to work with the box. Ecklers used to have a good tech article on shortening the column. I have some pictures somewhere of where I cut and welded mine; you have to cut a piece out to save the end and weld back together. Some people have had issues with the seat where one of the hoses fits on the box and is easily fixed with new insert part. Mine was OK. You will need the box, hoses, rag joint, a column or the parts to shorten yours like the upper steering shaft, a power steering pump and the pulleys and belts needed to drive it. Probably about $1,000 worth. I am happy with the upgrade and would do it again. You might want to contact "jalapeno" on the other forum, he is a power steering expert on these cars and sells most everything you need. Someone else here may have an email or website for him. I am hoping to add the upper A arms with 5* more caster soon, maybe this week even.
    56-210, 283, 200-4R, Power steering, Power Brakes

Member #:3
    Hello Top

Very Nice 57.

Sid

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Member #:530
    clean 4 door you got there.
    Welcome to the site.
    Upgrades...yes. Just keep it drivable.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Registered Member

thanks for the welcome Im also an Army vet drafted '65 sent to France then Germany....Legion member SGT @ arms Legion Rider Patiort Guard member
    made many miles in a 56 chevy my buddy had in 64-65 thanks agian
    aka Topper...

Registered Member

wondering if it is possible to cut steering shaft off with sawsall then remove steering column and steering box???? then reuse the origional steering shaft
    with a rag joint????

Tops57 aka Topper

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    I thought I remember seeing instructions for that process somewhere back 5 or so years ago.
    But why remove the original column?

I don't know though, I have factory power with a 70's pump

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
    I thought I remember seeing instructions for that process somewhere back 5 or so years ago.
    But why remove the original column?

I don't know though, I have factory power with a 70's pump

I want to install a 500 series power steering just looking for ideas I looked at steering column agian dont think
    there is enough room but dont know for sure until i get the new box...

Banned

Member #:2941
    Welcome aboard, Topper and good luck with your power steering conversion. I have had several '55s over the years, a '56 and now have a '57. They were all drivers and I never installed power steering in them, but I have looked into it in case I decide to go that route with my present '57 and if I were to do it, I would go with a Borgeson conversion box. They are a Delphi box made in USA and no worries about a cheaply made ChiCom box as with many other conversions.

Merry Christmas,

Harry