Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What Angle?

Member #:3217
    A good rule for all of us to follow is this: IF you cannot say something constructive, or good... remain SILENT .. ie. keep your hands off your keyboard.

If you have to be negative to another member, then do it privately.. or call him up and arrange to meet him somewhere to address your differences... but leave the rest of us out of it.

Member #:1723
    Whew, maybe the tsunami has passed by. Does anyone have any guidance on my question (please see below). Thanks, Doug
    Quote Originally Posted by Belair-o View Post
    Thanks Rick, Chevynut, and 56Mark for the suggestions and guidance. Do I need to have a complete alignment in place (and not just my rough one), before considering any tweaking of the spindle stops?
    Thanks, Doug

Registered Member

Member #:571
    A rough home alignment will be sufficient. I.e., set the camber with a level or angle finder, and set the toe in best you can, as well as centering the steering.

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    Quote Originally Posted by 567chevys View Post
    Agreed ,
    It does nothing good to belittle someone because of what they like or have , I know of 3 Cars here in Kelso Washington that have Chevelle Rotors. The owners of them love them. They also have Carbs on them and Love that also .

My 34 Coupe has injection on it and I hate it ! I'm thinking of installing a Carb on it , if I want new stuff I will drive my wife's car or my Truck.

But that's my Taste and that all it matters to me

Sid

My bad, I didn't know there was an ongoing feud and I was feeding it fuel.

Sid, my 55 currently has an 800cfm quadrajet! I also have an old Holley 800 Spreadbore which ran darn nice too. I had new Holley's for short periods of time but keep going back to the quadrajet.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    A rough home alignment will be sufficient. I.e., set the camber with a level or angle finder, and set the toe in best you can, as well as centering the steering.

Banned

Member #:2775
    As far as setting toe, the best DIY way to do it is with a trammel bar. Hard to quickly explain, but using a common reference point on both tires, you simply roll the car back and forth 180 degrees of tire rotation, using the same 2 points to measure. Accurate to 1/32's of an inch, or less. Figured that out racing Karts 25 years ago using a tape measure, but on a car the trammel bar is hard to beat with the wheels further apart, and for no money. My trammel bar is a 2x2 piece of pine across the track, with 2 sheet metal uprights to the height of the centerline of the tires.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 01-11-2018 at 04:25 AM.

Banned

Member #:2775
    You can also get a magnetic mount caster/camber gauge like this for less than $130, and align it all yourself anytime, and eliminate needing to take it to a shop.
    IMG_2915.jpg

Thanks for the ideas! I don't understand the trammel bar, but will do some searching online. The gauge you showed makes sense.
    Thanks, Doug

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    Laugh all you want but I used one of these to do my alignment including caster. Then I took it to a pro and he didn't touch a thing except the toe. I have to make a tool for the toe.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Adjusta...%257Ciid%253A1
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Member #:3217
    Setting 'toe' in your home garage is not difficult if you cut two plywood pieces which are H" x H/2", where H" is the height of your front tires. Attaching (with duct tape or ?) those two pieces of plywood to the lower half of each front tire allows you to 'measure much more precisely the distances across the back, and front, of your front tires.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast