Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What Angle?

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    Setting 'toe' in your home garage is not difficult if you cut two plywood pieces which are H" x H/2", where H" is the height of your front tires. Attaching (with duct tape or ?) those two pieces of plywood to the lower half of each front tire allows you to 'measure much more precisely the distances across the back, and front, of your front tires.
    I'm going to get around to doing that one day. I plan on cutting out an arch in the lower middle so the bottom bulge of the tire doesn't push it out in the center. Then use 2 tape measures at the same time across the front and the rear of the plywood.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Banned

Member #:2775
    Using plywood could work assuming they are perfectly flat, but the sidewalls of most tires are not all that flat, and could skew the readings quite a bit, unless you made standoffs to touch the wheel flange instead. They use commercially made toe plates at the track for quick adjustments though. Trammel bar is a more accurate method. When using a trammel bar rather than trying to scribe a line on the tire I found it easier to just make a vertical line on a piece of masking tape on center of the tires, and roll the car back and forth using the same 2 reference points. Very accurate, and pretty easy to do.
    IMG_2924.JPG
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 01-12-2018 at 05:25 AM.

Member #:3606
    I have heard of using a cheap extendable curtain rod, set it to front or back and then compare. I like the tape idea and roll. Last time I did mine I raised the wheels off of the ground, spun them and marked a ring on the tread with soap stone. The tape sounds easier and better; get the same point for sure.
    56-210, 283, 200-4R, Power steering, Power Brakes

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    Although I also see a tire scribe in that ad, I don't quite get the need to make a true line, however I did just get the idea of measuring to one of the lines in the tread? If I raised the wheels and spun them I could see if the tread is straight/true. I could be a bit confused since I had a minor procedure done at the hospital and was under general anesthesia this morning.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345