Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LT4 into 57

Member #:3454
    That is an outstanding car you are building. Mine is not going to be anywhere close to that. It will be a nice driver with pretty much stock suspension. I will take a look at the Muncie the next time I am up in the attic to see what the ratios are. You are pretty close on the 3,000 rpms at 70-75 mph. I think the ratio in my Olds is 3.42 and at 70 mph it is tacking about 3 grand.

I can see plans changing as I move along. That is the advantage of a forum like this where that is lots of knowledge. I crossmember will be an easy installation and I can see that possibly happening. I had not thought about the wheels rubbing with the front being lowered 3 inches. I am going to use a regular set of 15" Chevy Rally wheels that I will probably have powder coated. Thanks for the headsup.

Member #:115
    One more point of reference....the manual tranny 1996 Corvettes that your LT4 is out of had a ZF 6-speed with a first gear ratio of 2.68 and a rearend with a 3.45 gear ratio for an overall ratio of 9.25. Rear tire size was 285/40-17 which is just under 26" in diameter. The car is just a little lighter than a tri5 at about 3300 pounds curb weight.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:625
    If you're going to lower the front of the car that much you really need to understand the offset of your disc brake setup. The "Chevelle" type disc brakes that were popular long ago move the wheels out 7/8" per side and can cause problems with tire rubbing on a lowered car, depending on wheel offset. If you're going with a more positive offset wheel you can probably deal with it. However, a common zero offset wheel will likely be a problem. Just a heads up on problems you might run into.

Sorry to bust your bubble you love to bash the Chevelle brakes so much, but Rocketman say he has 2 inch dropped spindles and I don't believe any o0f those use Chevelle rotors. The Chevelle rotor kits use stock spindles.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    That is an outstanding car you are building. Mine is not going to be anywhere close to that. It will be a nice driver with pretty much stock suspension. I will take a look at the Muncie the next time I am up in the attic to see what the ratios are. You are pretty close on the 3,000 rpms at 70-75 mph. I think the ratio in my Olds is 3.42 and at 70 mph it is tacking about 3 grand.
    MY 56 has a 3.42 57 Olds rear and when it was a Th350 it was all over 3000 at 70 mph and so is my 3.42 geared Super T10 equipped 74 Z28.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Sorry to bust your bubble you love to bash the Chevelle brakes so much, but Rocketman say he has 2 inch dropped spindles and I don't believe any o0f those use Chevelle rotors. The Chevelle rotor kits use stock spindles.
    Then if he doesn't use the large offset Chevelle rotors he shouldn't have a problem if he's careful with the setup.

With a 3" drop he still needs to be careful with wheel offset and tire width, or they will rub. If the tires are much wider than about 67.75" outside they will rub the fender on turns, especially with the suspension compressed.

Apparently you like to ignore these facts because the Chevelle rotors kinda work on a stock height car, as long as you don't use a wide tire and compress the suspension on hard turns. Sorry you get butt-hurt every time I post the truth.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Well I didn't win the bid on the LT4. However that is the engine I think I will eventually use. I am a long way from being ready for it so that is probably okay. I do have an engine I put together from spare parts on a budget several years ago. It is a 307 (go ahead and laugh for a while). My son took it out of a 70 Nova years ago. I had a set of double hump heads I had redone (just resurfaced and a valve job). I put a 350 horse cam in it with new lifters and a double roller timing chain. It has a used Edelbrock Performer manifold on it and I will probably use a 650 cfm Holley I still have in the box. I mostly put this engine together to have something in the car to be able to move it around while I work on the rest of the car. If anybody wants to give their idea as to how it will run, feel free to. My feelings will not be hurt. It is in effect a stroked 283.

Registered Member

307s are tough as nails I know several guys who punched them .125 and installed std bore 327 pistons in them. I still know a big time demo derby guy who runs them for their thick cyl walls.

Thanks markm. I can remember guys back in the day punching 265s .125 over and installing 283 standard bore pistons. If I remember correctly they tended to run hot. Do the guys punching the 307s have any overheating problems?

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Most 307s won't go .125" over with success. .060" over is max for most.

Overheating is not a problem with over bored Chevy engines. That is a pre-internet myth. Flathead Fords had that problem (actually they all tended to overheat because of problematic water pumps), and somehow that belief got extended to all engines back in the old days.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast