Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LT4 into 57

Member #:3454

LT4 into 57

This will be my second post. I have a 57 210 that I hope to start the rebuild on next year. I am looking at a 1996 Corvette LT4. I know it is a pretty easy fit by using side mounts which I planned to do anyway. My question is about what flywheel to use with the Muncie 4-speed I have. I have a billet flywheel I planned on using (I bought it years ago). From what I gather, the stock bellhousing will bolt up to the LT-4 which would allow me to use the stock clutch linkage. I know there are lots of other considerations such as gas tank with the internal fuel pump and radiator. I have not committed to this engine yet but will if I can make the Muncie work. Thanks

Registered Member

Member #:571
    It's not a problem at all. You can use the stock bellhousing or any SBC bellhousing. The 96 LT4 will require a flywheel for an 85 up one piece main seal SBC. The stock bellhousing requires a stock style starter and 168 tooth flywheel. The only OEM setups with the 168 tooth flywheel were 85-99 pickups. They used an 11" clutch, which you'll need. Or you can get an aftermarket flywheel which can take either an 11" or 10.4" clutch, depending on how you order it (or some will have bolt patterns for both). The flywheel you need will have a small weight on it, all one piece main seal flywheels for an SBC do.

Member #:115
    Curious why you prefer the muncie over an overdrive transmission? Is it just because you already have it? If you want to cruise the car on the highway much, the muncie is going to drive you nuts, especially if you want good street performance. What's your intended use for the car? The stock clutch linkage works okay, but there are alternatives that you can consider if you want to. Is your car pretty stock and complete now?
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Thanks guys. I have had the Muncie for several years. It is not a rock crusher so it will not have the wine. The car will be mostly local and cruises of less that 300 miles. I already have an 11 inch clutch so that will work well with the truck flywheel. The car is fairly complete with an old dead 235 6-cylinder in it and has been in storage for years. Rick, thanks for clearing up what I need on a flywheel. At this time that was my biggest question.

The stock 6 cylinder bellhousing will not bolt up to the LT4 or any other SBC. You'll have to either get a stock tri5 V8 bellhousing or some other Chevy bellhousing, or an aftermarket scattershield. Lakewood makes one that will accept the stock clutch linkage, if you plan to use that. I'm not sure if all the 6-cylinder linkage is the same as that for a V8 but it might be. What transmission is in the car now? If it's an OD 3-speed manual you will probably have 4:11 rear gears unless they've been changed.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

I understand about the 6 cylinder bellhousing. I have a trifive V8 bellhousing. The car was originally a powerglide but I converted it to a 3 speed on the column a long time ago. So I think it would have 3:36 gears in it. I know the full history of the car since I am actually the third owner of it. I plan on using the rear motor mounts on the bellhousing and then side mounts. I have collected the disk brakes setup, 605 box, 2" dropped spindles and 1 inch lowering springs for the front. I also have one of the Hurst shifters with the C handle for the trifives. I live in the Dallas area and have a parts car sitting in a pasture over in Louisiana that has been there a long time. This will not be a frame off (I don't have the space) but it is going to be a big project.

Banned

Member #:2775
    Sounds like a pretty good plan, and the Muncie trans is still one of the best ever. Light, small, and shift great. The wide ratio gear set works the best. I ran the close ratio for a season, and switched to the wide ratio gear set, which works better for launching the car while running a good highway gear. 3:36 rear should be fine. Made 3 2000 mile trips back and forth to the west coast back in the day with a Muncie. One car was a 65 small block Vette, and the other a 69 big block Vette getting 18 mpg.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 12-27-2017 at 05:59 AM.

As long as you don't expect to cruise much on the highway at 70-75 MPH a don't expect real "peppy" street performance the Muncie/3.36 combo should be marginally okay depending on first gear ratio, imo. At 75 MPH the engine would be spinning at around 3000 RPM with a stock-size (28") tire, higher with a smaller diameter tire. The street performance won't be great, especially if you have the 2.20 first gear in the Muncie. That's only an overall ratio of 7.4 which won't win many races. Even with the 2.56 first gear it's only 8.6. The stock 3-speed had a 2.94 first gear and the rear gears were 3.55 for an overall ratio of 10.44. To me, that's closer to where it should be for good street performance and will be easier on the clutch. It all depends on your expectations.

My Nomad has a 4.10 rear gear with a 2.66 first gear for an overall ratio of 10.9 which should make for great street performance. It has a .5 sixth gear overdrive so with my 26" rear tires the engine should be turning at just under 2000 RPM at 75 MPH. This is how overdrive can give you the best of both worlds....both street and highway performance.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:625
    You probably want to ditch the leaky 605 box a CCP500 or Borgeson 670 are much better choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    I plan on using the rear motor mounts on the bellhousing and then side mounts.
    Not sure how that's going to work out and I don't think I've ever heard of anyone doing that. The side mounts are pretty far back on the side of the engine, and using the bellhousing mounts would put them pretty close together. Most guys use a transmission crossmember and lose the bellhousing mounts for a more modern 3-point mounting system. That's what I recommend.

I have collected the disk brakes setup, 605 box, 2" dropped spindles and 1 inch lowering springs for the front.
    If you're going to lower the front of the car that much you really need to understand the offset of your disc brake setup. The "Chevelle" type disc brakes that were popular long ago move the wheels out 7/8" per side and can cause problems with tire rubbing on a lowered car, depending on wheel offset. If you're going with a more positive offset wheel you can probably deal with it. However, a common zero offset wheel will likely be a problem. Just a heads up on problems you might run into.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast