Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold air and cold tires don't mix

Registered Member

Member #:2764

Cold air and cold tires don't mix

My BB always likes cold air, makes her go wild. But today going about 30mph I floored it and instead of spinning, gaining speed, shifting to 2nd and spinning a little, it went into 2nd and the speedometer went up to 80mph and I left off. I thought that may have warmed the tires a bit but it did the same thing again. And after installing the insulation and carpet, I didn't even get to check if flooring it still makes it go WOT. I have my doubts. Temperature was about 28° with almost bald street tires. Hope the new ones grip a little better.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Member #:571
    It's probably about as much about cold pavement as cold tires. Not to say that new tires won't do better, because they will.

Registered Member

I always thought the tread was just to prevent hydroplaning? That's why slicks don't have tread, more rubber contacting the road?
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

New rubber is softer than old rubber which is more important than tread or not.

Banned

Member #:2775
    It mostly comes down to rubber compounds. A lot of summer only tires on new cars say not to use below 45 degrees, or they will crack. Sticky summer tires turn into hard plastic when cold, and winter only tires remain soft at cold temps. I've installed a couple different sets of max performance summer tires that stated on the sticker, not to even mount the tire to the wheel in temps below 68 degrees. If you have crap for tires, that make a big difference too. Tread helps snow/wet traction. Lack of tread helps dry traction.

Registered Member

Huh? Don't use below 68°? Really?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    Huh? Don't use below 68°? Really?
    No, that was do not mount the tire to the wheel below 68 degrees, and do not use below 45.
    I found the tech sheet, says 68 for mounting, and don't move the car at 15 degrees.
    https://toyo-arhxo0vh6d1oh9i0c.stack..._-10172017.pdf
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 01-02-2018 at 04:37 AM.

Banned

The OE tires on my son's Jaguar F-type on not to be used below 45 degrees.
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...oModClar=Coupe

Registered Member

They are worn down to near zero tread, well into the wear bars, and they aren't hard like plastic in the cold. And I don't think they are old enough to have hardened, maybe 3 years? Actually ever since I did burnouts at the track, after any little tire spinning I hear them picking up and flinging little stones.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
    They are worn down to near zero tread, well into the wear bars, and they aren't hard like plastic in the cold. And I don't think they are old enough to have hardened, maybe 3 years? Actually ever since I did burnouts at the track, after any little tire spinning I hear them picking up and flinging little stones.
    So what tires/size do you want to use if you need more traction assuming that's the goal? What is on there now?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast