Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 55 Project Rewind-Found a Great 55 210 AZ body shell for $1800!

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    These 1/2 inch reinforced holes on top of the cowl look like factory lift points above the hood hinge, since they end up with rubber plugs in them. Looks the perfect place for eyebolts.
    Attachment 8267
    The hood hinge holes/threaded inserts seem to be resident and intact and with a simple 2x2x1/4 angle brkt and top hole for a hook & chain up to a spreader bar. I feel as though the Eye Bolt would distort or not do well.

lift eye.jpg
    Last edited by NickP; 02-03-2018 at 03:30 PM.

Member #:3217
    I agree with NCW on that one; I would not use the holes on top of the cowl for fear of distorting the metal.. The attachment points recommended by NCW are better..

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I think you could use a flat bar instead of angle there too. Depends on what you have.

Like the others I'd be worried about distortion in the area of the 1/2" holes if they were used.

Registered Member

Member #:1806
    The hood henge bolt holes are easier to use and way stronger. That hole on top may have been an alignment hole for the front end.

Registered Member

Member #:1800
    Nice looking project. Looks like a steel for the price! I really like the smoothed out firewall.
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4 dr hardtop Bel Air Sierra Gold/Adobe Beige - Purchased July 5th, 2013
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4dr sedan 210 Larkspur Blue/India Ivory Sedan - Purchased Aug 6th, 2012 (not running)
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4dr sedan Bel Air Canyon Coral/India Ivory Sedan - Purchased June 30th, 2013 (not running)
    - 2017 Chevrolet SS Sedan - LS3 - TR6060 - Nightfall Grey Metallic - Purchased April 2017

Banned

Member #:2775
    Quote Originally Posted by hurddawg View Post
    Nice looking project. Looks like a steel for the price! I really like the smoothed out firewall.
    Thanks. I have a long way to go. The body is great, but still has a few issues, and it is way better than my other one. The quarters are a little wavy where welded, and I wished it still had drip rails, but I'll deal with it. Making a lift crossbeam for it now to start for being able to incrementally move it up and down with a cherry picker, for rolling the chassis under it for a start so I can at least move it as needed. I plan to set it up to lift the chassis up to the body, instead of the easier way. Wish I a had a asymmetrical lift, but I won't. Buying another "distraction project" doesn't help either with my new 1950 fire truck with only 2370 miles, and not running, no brakes, but it's an amazing vehicle with history.
    IMG_3013.JPG
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 02-24-2018 at 02:28 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:1806
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    Thanks. I have a long way to go. Making a lift crossbeam for it now to start for being able to incrementally move it up and down with a cherry picker, for rolling the chassis under it for a start so I can at least move it as needed. I plan to set it up to lift the chassis up to the body, instead of the easier way.
    I was looking at the Dick Olsen web site that Sid posted and noticed in his customer cars/ 57 nomad a body lift that you might want to check out. http://www.classicchevyshop.com/57-nomad

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by LEE T View Post
    I was looking at the Dick Olsen web site that Sid posted and noticed in his customer cars/ 57 nomad a body lift that you might want to check out. http://www.classicchevyshop.com/57-nomad

Sadly, those are not a commercial unit. I built mine, takes down similar and, works well. Plans available for those that need it.

Banned

Member #:2775
    A 2 post lift would be ideal, but I managed to get the body off of the shipping pallet and sitting on the frame using a combination of an undercar lift, cement blocks, 4x4's, and my cherry picker. Made a crossbeam that can be used front/rear. Still need to get the bushings in place, but it's close. My 1950 fire truck is much closer to being on the road than the 55, so I've been working on that instead. Should be good to go as soon as I finish the brake job. Had to get the 55 as a roller, since my Camaro was trapped in the garage.
    IMG_2966.JPGIMG_3169 (1).JPGIMG_3174.JPGIMG_3321.JPGIMG_3330.JPG
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 05-25-2018 at 05:06 AM.

Registered Member

Member #:3682
    Cool, making progress, good work!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast