Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1956 Chevy 210 4 door

Member #:3566

Door Pillar picture

This is what I am concerned about.. the rot in the pillar..

Body Rust..

I think the pillar and top is typical of a 60 plus year old car. I trying to figure out how much it would cost to get it fixed...This a difficult fix..

Member #:115
    Yikes! That's not typical. The rot in the a-pillar is a result of the rot that I think I see in the roof. I'm betting that car has a lot more rust than it looks like on the outside. Did you check the floor braces?

I have a good 56 4-door roof that's about as solid as it gets. If you decide to buy the car, it could be grafted on. Not a speck of rot in it.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Hello Chevynut

The weird part of this car is the trunk and trunk floor is solid the rockers are solid. as you move forward The front of the car gets ruster. The braces are in good shape. The rust is bad around the pillar and windshield. This car sat in a locked storage container for 3 decades in Cali San Fran). Yes there is rot on top of the roof. This is why I think it has structural rust. This looks expensive to fix.

Flip side this car is one of the cleanest I have seen since looking for car in Florida. (Hard to believe) I looked at 1957 Chevy that was so badly rotten that the rockers were completely rotted off. Painted and bonded together. I look down the side of this car it isn't badly rusted the front end looks good. Fenders aren't rusted out the hood looks good. Just weird the way this has rusted...

Here my dilemma this car has NOT been repainted there is no body work done on it. I see everything that is wrong. This car has never been messed with no cut up dash for stereo and speakers. The wiring is all spliced up. Easier to fix things that are not hidden. I know these 4 doors only have so much value. This is a V8 car its a 210

Not sure if I should punt this car..

I'm interested in opinions if anyone got one..

Part of me wants to say it

Member #:115
    A rusty roof is a hard thing to fix, and there's probably a lot more rust you don't see. It's strange that it would rust there before underneath. Replacing an entire roof shouldn't be that difficult, but the a-pillars are harder to fix. And that's where the VIN tag is too, so you risk having to replace that metal and removing the tag, which is illegal.

Looks to me like the roof rusted out for some strange reason, and the water ran down into the a-pillar causing it to rust out. Are both sides rusted?

If you're going to tackle the repairs yourself it still might be a decent car to salvage. I'm afraid if you have to pay someone else to fix it, it could get messy and expensive. On the other hand, like I said you have a lot more than $1000 in parts there.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I have been told that rot like this is caused by rodents making nest above headliner and pissing in this area causing rot from backside.

Member #:3
    I bought a really cool 55 4 Dr Wagon Bel air , had Rust just like this 56 .

Was going to make a cool rat wagon out of it .

Got it home opened the hood Hings they needed oil , when I lifted the hood where the hinges are mounted on the firewall was moving , I moved the hood up & Down the fire wall was crumbing . RUST

I parted it out made my money back got some good parts to keep.
    The ones that got parts where happy.

Sid

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Registered Member

Member #:1806
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    A rusty roof is a hard thing to fix, and there's probably a lot more rust you don't see. It's strange that it would rust there before underneath. Replacing an entire roof shouldn't be that difficult, but the a-pillars are harder to fix. And that's where the VIN tag is too, so you risk having to replace that metal and removing the tag, which is illegal.

Looks to me like the roof rusted out for some strange reason, and the water ran down into the a-pillar causing it to rust out. Are both sides rusted?

If you're going to tackle the repairs yourself it still might be a decent car to salvage. I'm afraid if you have to pay someone else to fix it, it could get messy and expensive. On the other hand, like I said you have a lot more than $1000 in parts there.
    If you think about the weather changes we go through in the spring, you can image the changes that take place year round in San Francisco, and it sounds like that car sat in a sealed steel container for decades. Yes, the moisture dripped from the container onto the roof and eventually into the rust holes and down the A pillar---I'm surprised it isn't much worse. In that picture you can see the rust holes in the roof above the A pillar.
    Last edited by LEE T; 01-11-2018 at 11:23 PM.

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    buying for parts you will be fine, anything else it will be a money-pit (its a 4dr). better to put your money into a driver and enjoy while you work on it (life's to short).
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by carls 56 View Post
    buying for parts you will be fine, anything else it will be a money-pit (its a 4dr). better to put your money into a driver and enjoy while you work on it (life's to short).
    How many doors are on that avatar? LOL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12