Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 55 Pontiac Safari Body Converted to 55 Chevy Nomad

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Registered Member

Member #:2341

55 Pontiac Safari Body Converted to 55 Chevy Nomad

I have an opportunity to p/u a 55 Pontiac Safari body only which in good shape and complete except for the following:

* No frame, front sheet metal, no drive train, no bumpers.....basically just a body/doors/complete tailgate & lid and all glass that has been stored inside for a few decades.

My "crazy" question is has anybody ever converted a 55 Safari to a 55 Nomad. I know it will require a new chevy dash, both 55 nomad rear quarters, ???. So one question will 55 chevy front sheet metal bolt up to the front of the safari body? Also I know the cost of the fender eyebrows are extreme but I'm thinking of a "resto mod' build, new frame, LS motor, C-4 susp. to keep me busy in my retirement mode.

I know someone might say why not just embark on trying to restore the Safari......well I had a 55 Nomad as a young adult (396/4sp) and I'm getting the urge to get another. I currently have built a resto mod 55 Chevy (check out threads on this site), 69 Camaro resto mod, 66 Corvette coupe resto mod and a 32 Ford 3 window coupe, full fenders with LS1/4L60E drive train, all independent susp. which could be considered a resto mod. I'm currently building a 69 Vette with 500hp LS3/6sp Tremec Magnum trans, etc......so I have quite a bit of experience building cars and only farm out the final paint to a 3rd party. A project like this kinda get's me excited but I would like some experts on this site to share some of there thoughts.....thanks in advance for your input!

Member #:2442
    Not sure about any of the other aspects of the conversion you are thinking of but we talked to the owner of a Safari Wagon at Back to the 50's last year and I'm pretty sure he said it has a longer wheel base than tri-five Chevys. Nomads are the same 115" as are wagons and passenger cars. I actually used a nomad frame to do my C4 conversion.
    Brian

Member #:115
    The US-built 55-57 Pontiacs had a 122" wheelbase and I believe that included the Safaris. The Canadian built ones used Chevy frames with the shorter 115" wheelbase. I believe the added length was all in front, so the Canadian ones used shorter front fenders. Since you don't have any front sheetmetal maybe you can find some Canadian sheetmetal for it. I'm not sure but I think you'd have to change the floor to a Chevy floor to use the Chevy frame.

It would be a heck of a lot of work to change the quarters, rockers, floor, frame, dash, and all the front sheetmetal just to make a 55 Nomad. But I think it could be done. You might be better off finding a 55 Nomad project.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:2442
    Found this on the differences between Pontiac & Chevy
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...change.122913/

Registered Member

Member #:2341

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Custer55 View Post
    Found this on the differences between Pontiac & Chevy
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...change.122913/

Good info.....thanks for posting!!!!!

Member #:3217
    Safaris have even more chrome and stainless to 'redo' than do Nomads. Someone mentioned the 'Canadian' version of the Pontiac wagon, which apparently has the same wheelbase as the Nomad (and some of the Pontiacs share even more of the looks of the chevy wagons), which might a very realistic idea...?

Registered Member

Member #:3018
    There are quite a few differences on the Safari. Safari uses a C channel frame with an X style crossmember similar to a chevy convertible, frame is a much wider, 48" at the rear frame humps. Floorpan is totally different, A/C actually comes through the floor pan from under the front bench seat (if equipped). The eyebrows can be plucked from some of the pontiac chieftain/ star chief sedans, so they shouldn't be too hard to replace.

I have a 56 Safari I'm working on (or trying to work on if I can get off the road), I'm putting a chevy floor pan in so I can put it on a chevy frame and fit the C4 suspension (given the rust my car has, I'm basically building a parts car, so I don't feel too bad about making the modifications that I am making). I would find a 55 nomad if I were you. You'll spend the budget for a 55 nomad builder just in conversion parts. http://pontiacsafari.com/ has a lot of information if you're interested in digging through the documents.

IMO those Safari's are too rare to hack into a nomad, only 3,760 made in 1955. That being said, if the price is right, I might be interested if you decide to pass on it. I have an addiction to projects that I don't have the time to complete

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    Quote Originally Posted by 56Safari View Post
    IMO those Safari's are too rare to hack into a nomad, only 3,760 made in 1955. That being said, if the price is right, I might be interested if you decide to pass on it. I have an addiction to projects that I don't have the time to complete
    Yep, I think that is my answer also. They are real fine looking cars. Sell it to someone with a rusted out Safari so they can put it on an original frame and they will have the chrome and stuff to go with it.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Member #:3
    Dick up in Seattle Wa (hotrodder) had a 55 Nomad that was rough, Think he wanted $5500.00 , Not sure if he still has it .

Sid

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Registered Member

Member #:1806
    Actually, it might be cheaper to convert it, since it already needs a frame, front sheet metal, bumpers, and maybe some trim and seats also. If the cowl is the same, then the dash is pretty easy to change, and all the parts are readily available.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast