Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reverse Switch

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I didn't know that. My car has them and I find the taillights without them look odd to me.
    On 55s, they all had the clear backup light lens below the taillight. But most had no bulb or wiring.

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    On 55s, they all had the clear backup light lens below the taillight. But most had no bulb or wiring.
    OK thanks. Now I understand why the solid red lenses look *different*, because they ARE *different*! I rewired it back in the 80's and don't remember if it had back up wires or not before I put them in. That wonderful JC Whitney wire harness had no provision for fuses, got a short and fried itself a few years ago. Luckily my insurance covered it and they paid me very, very well after getting estimates from 2 restoration type garages. They both estimated 40 hours labor. Now I have fuses, but I did buy another stupid harness. This time from Painless. It's missing a few important wires I had to add.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Member #:3676
    Good idea. I have a meter. Thanks.

Registered Member

Great Tips. Thank you. I am delayed, however since I live in Montana and right now we can store meat in there no problem. AS soon as I get any heat (for us anything at all above freezing, I'll give this a try. Thanks

Registered Member

Great Tips. Thank you. I am delayed, however since I live in Montana and right now we can store meat in there no problem. AS soon as I get any heat (for us anything at all above freezing, I'll give this a try. Thanks

Registered Member

Thanks! I have a standard tranny. Also, although many would disagree I am trilled to have a straight six. My understanding is that although they were produced in larger numbers, most have been converted to eights. Also I have over drive that I'm anxious to try. I just think this whole car is so cool. Can't wait for the temps to come up toward freezing (Montana) so I can get in the garage and do some work. I like this car so much, I'm selling off other projects this spring to make a proper cruiser for long cross country trips out of this.

Registered Member

Just called Ecklers. They want $27.49 for the reverse switch. I see no problem with the price, but I also have seen (ONS) Old New Stock for about $55.00. What I'm wondering is, is there any advantage to ONS? It's electrical so unlike a steering box or other mechanical part I'd think newer is better. Any ideas?

Banned

Member #:2775
    I would think the new one would be fine, since the NOS switch is 63 years old, and maybe corroded contacts by now.

Member #:115
    Johnny, where are you in Montana? My brother lives south of Missoula and my wife and I are trying to buy some land in eastern Montana.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

I have a relative in Missoula. It's a good 5 hours from me. This is a big state. I am on what they call the "High Line." It's the highest line (on a map) running east and west (route 2), the next East West being in Canada.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast