Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reverse Switch

Registered Member

Member #:3676
    I think I found the switch. It's on the top curve of the steering column located under the dash and just before the fire wall. It is riveted by one hole both sides. I can grind off the rivets, but I have no idea where they'd end up inside the column (I hope they'll fall out). As for the next guy who maybe does this repair, is there some procedure for replacing it using something other than a rivet?

I still need to test the switch. Does this sound right: I intend to just pull the two plugs and see if the light goes out. If yes, the switch is stuck on. I can't test it yet though, because its about ten (10) degrees F in my garage. Not good for the wires so I'll wait for a much warmer day.

Banned

Member #:2775
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I think I found the switch. It's on the top curve of the steering column located under the dash and just before the fire wall. It is riveted by one hole both sides. I can grind off the rivets, but I have no idea where they'd end up inside the column (I hope they'll fall out). As for the next guy who maybe does this repair, is there some procedure for replacing it using something other than a rivet?

I still need to test the switch. Does this sound right: I intend to just pull the two plugs and see if the light goes out. If yes, the switch is stuck on. I can't test it yet though, because its about ten (10) degrees F in my garage. Not good for the wires so I'll wait for a much warmer day.
    Maybe before you do anything, just hose it down with some silicon spray lube to see if you can free it up, assuming that's the issue. Warmer temps would be more effective too.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 02-02-2018 at 05:14 PM.

Member #:3454
    Thanks! I have a standard tranny. Also, although many would disagree I am trilled to have a straight six. My understanding is that although they were produced in larger numbers, most have been converted to eights. Also I have over drive that I'm anxious to try. I just think this whole car is so cool. Can't wait for the temps to come up toward freezing (Montana) so I can get in the garage and do some work. I like this car so much, I'm selling off other projects this spring to make a proper cruiser for long cross country trips out of this.
    You can put a set of Fenton headers with Smitty mufflers on that car and it will purr and talk to you. I remember the ones my brother had on a 54. Sweet. The overdrive should give you some pretty good gas mileage. Nice car.

Member #:115
    I have a relative in Missoula. It's a good 5 hours from me. This is a big state. I am on what they call the "High Line." It's the highest line (on a map) running east and west (route 2), the next East West being in Canada.
    I'm familiar with the "high line" as I've bowhunted elk in the CMR around Fort Peck Reservoir. Are you around Malta?

If I were you I'd just unplug one of the backup light wires from the switch. That should tell you if the switch is bad and imo I wouldn't worry about the cold. Just start up the car and let it warm up inside.
    Last edited by chevynut; 02-03-2018 at 09:53 AM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123