Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reverse Switch

Registered Member

Member #:3676

Reverse Switch

1955 Chevy V2.jpg

Santa brought me a 55 Bel Air. Okay, so I bought it for myself at Christmas. Living in Montana my garage is like an ice chest so rather than poke around in the freezer, I need help. The back up lights are constantly on. I've done lots of automotive electrical work so I know that's a good sign. It's likely the switch, but where is it and how do I get to it so I can check it? Can anybody help? Also I have two horns and love the art deco steering wheel but no matter where I push...nothing. Assuming I have a fuse box, where is it? If I don't have one, then what is step one in disassembly to get to the horn switch? The horn is an after thought, but as for the reverse switch, I've looked in manuals, on line, even on this forum and nothing. Any help will be appreciated.

Member #:3217
    It's located on the steering column, switched by the transmission gear selector...

https://www.classicchevy.com/chevy-b...1955-1956.html

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I believe back up lights are quite rare on a 55.

Registered Member

I did not know they were rare. Huh, cool. I must have something special. But, I know I have them, because they are always on. My steering wheel is very art deco and I saw pictures of a 55 with a flat plain center. It's that because this is Bel Air or is it possible I have a 56 titled as a 55?

Registered Member

Thank you. Do I therefore need to remove the chrome plate under the column to get to the switch? (I have a chrome plate that wraps top and bottom around the column). If you need I can shoot a picture.

Banned

Member #:2775
    While you troubleshoot it, temporally pull the bulbs out, and as for the horns, hook directly to a 12 volt source to see if they even work first. A multi-meter, or even a test light is a must.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 01-24-2018 at 03:56 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    The switch is down further on the column from the instrument cluster chrome. About halfway to the floor.

Your car is a 55. If original, it should have a 3 spoke steering wheel with a Bel Air badge in the center. 55-56 Bel Air wheels had the same appearance.

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I believe back up lights are quite rare on a 55.
    I didn't know that. My car has them and I find the taillights without them look odd to me. I'm used to seeing mine since the 70's so it's burnt into my brain I guess. Although I don't recall ever seeing the factory switch, I have a switch on the ratchet shifter.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Member #:115
    The horns use a "horn relay" that's on the back of the radiator support on the driver's side near the voltage regulator. All the horn button does on the steering wheel is ground the horn relay coil. Try jumpering that terminal (green wire) on the horn relay to ground and see if the horns work. If they sound, then the problem is between the relay and the horn button on the steering wheel. If they don't work then you can work back from there. You can test the horns by jumpering 12V from the battery to the terminal on each horn. You don't need any fancy equipment to diagnose much of this.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:3454
    Backup lights were probably pretty common on a BelAir. The flat center on the steering wheel you refer to was possibly on a 150 series which was the bottom line. It just had a button in the center with no horn ring. I believe the wires going to the backup light switch are purple and the backup light switch also serves as a neutral safety switch assuming your car in an automatic. Nice car by the way.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast