X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 55 Tony
    Registered Member
    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by markm
    I run an old Eldebrock Mech on my 396 with 1/2 inch inlet and outlet and 1/2 line all the way to tank which is the original 1955 tank with a rear facing sump. A Holley regulator splits the line to each Holley 600 on top of tunnel ram. No fuel starvation issues.
    Are you serious ... 1/2"? At first I was running the original 5/16 and when I put in new 3/8 line and pickup I didn't notice any improvement with the fuel starvation problem. I've never seen a 1/2" pickup for our cars, just 5/16 and 3/8. I don't think I ever had any fuel starvation problems when running a Holley either with their large bowls. Q-jet is a different story.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Comment

• 55 Tony
      Registered Member
      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by 55 Rescue Dog
      Well, trying to run 12 sec quarters on lightly traveled roads is a good way to end up on the 6 o'clock news, and just plain irresponsible. Zero-60 runs in an isolated area is barely acceptable, and will tell you just as much as you need to know.
      Zero to 60 is barely acceptable? Even when the speed limit is 70 and I don't get anywhere near any other vehicle. Actually if you pass a state trooper doing 80 they don't bother with you. Yes another 35mph is a lot but I really don't see who it could hurt besides myself and how is it more safe at a track?
      Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Comment

• chevynut
        Registered Member
        • Nov 2011

Originally posted by 55 Tony
        Zero to 60 is barely acceptable?
        56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
        56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
        57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
        1962 327/340HP Corvette
        1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
        2001 Porsche Boxster S
        2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
        2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Comment

• 55 Rescue Dog
          Registered Member
          • Nov 2015

Zero to 60 is barely acceptable? Even when the speed limit is 70 and I don't get anywhere near any other vehicle. Actually if you pass a state trooper doing 80 they don't bother with you. Yes another 35mph is a lot but I really don't see who it could hurt besides myself and how is it more safe at a track?
          Never mind, I give up, that all makes perfect sense with a 63 year old car. And at the track, they have emergency personal on site.
          Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 01-29-2018, 06:00 PM.

Comment

• markm
            Registered Member
            • May 2012

Are you serious ... 1/2"? At first I was running the original 5/16 and when I put in new 3/8 line and pickup I didn't notice any improvement with the fuel starvation problem. I've never seen a 1/2" pickup for our cars, just 5/16 and 3/8. I don't think I ever had any fuel starvation problems when running a Holley either with their large bowls. Q-jet is a different story.
            I have a sender unit with the gas line blocked off, read my post again tank my tank has a custom rear facing sump with two 1/2 npt rear facing outlets. when I launch gas is forced toward tank outlet. As far as float bowls I have 4 of them to feed.

Comment

• Rick_L
              Registered Member
              • Apr 2012

The only reason a Holley would do better than an Edelbrock or Qjet is the float bowls hold a little more fuel. But not much more. You'll still run out of fuel in less than 1/4 mile if you have pump or restriction problems.

Comment

• 55 Tony
                Registered Member
                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by markm
                I have a sender unit with the gas line blocked off, read my post again tank my tank has a custom rear facing sump with two 1/2 npt rear facing outlets. when I launch gas is forced toward tank outlet. As far as float bowls I have 4 of them to feed.
                Yes, that info about the tank didn't sink in. And the split to two, I was thinking bowls, not carbs. I'm guessing you're only doing 1/8's, or awfully high speed 1/4's. What kind of times?
                Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Comment

• chevynut
                  Registered Member
                  • Nov 2011

Never mind, I give up.
                  Good. Nobody asked for your safety lecture in the first place.
                  56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
                  56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
                  57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
                  1962 327/340HP Corvette
                  1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
                  2001 Porsche Boxster S
                  2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
                  2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Comment

• BamaNomad
                    Registered Member
                    • Nov 2016

Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog
                    Never mind, I give up.
                    Originally posted by chevynut
                    Good. Nobody asked for your safety lecture in the first place.
                    You fellas MUST be brothers! Can't you just HUG and make up and pretend to be grown up??
                    All fighting brothers do it sooner or later...

Comment

• markm
                      Registered Member
                      • May 2012

VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mZLTTtDJZg[/VIDEO][/QUOTE]

I have only made passes at flag drags see link, the one time I showed up at a 1/4 mile track I lost the front yoke and u-joint on starting line. I have two purpose built Camaros that run 10s and 11s with minimal effort and just routine maintaince. My BBC Camaro has #10 or 5/8 fuel line from cell to regulator.

Comment

• markm
                        Registered Member
                        • May 2012

Originally posted by BamaNomad
                        Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog
                        Never mind, I give up.

You fellas MUST be brothers! Can't you just HUG and make up and pretend to be grown up??
                        All fighting brothers do it sooner or later...
                        Over the years I have known many who pick at everyone who is out cruising or racing talking how bad their project is going to be when it comes out. In fact I ran into one of them the other day and he offered to sell me his pride and joy 69 Camaro 10 inch tire full cage ultimate street strip machine. Its out of date and unfinished.

Comment

• 55 Rescue Dog
                          Registered Member
                          • Nov 2015

Sorry I was kind of thinking of an accident a week ago when 3 local kids were testing their tuner car going 85 in a 45, lost control, sideways into to a SUV, and they were turned into shrapnel, along with 90/% of their car scattered all over the road for many people to witness, and clean up in bitter temperatures. Something just as simple as tires under the conditions are always suspect too.
                          Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 01-30-2018, 05:53 PM.

Comment

• 55 Tony
                            Registered Member
                            • Nov 2015

Sorry I was kind of thinking of an accident a week ago when 3 local kids were testing their tuner car going 85 in a 45, lost control, sideways into to a SUV, and they were turned into shrapnel, along with 90/% of their car scattered all over the road for many people to witness, and clean up in bitter temperatures. Something just as simple as tires under the conditions are always suspect too.
                            Been busy working for a change ... anyway no big deal. If you saw the highway yourself you would probably *almost* let it slide.
                            Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Comment

Working...