Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BB 454 Fuel Pump

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Autometer has isolators for their fuel pressure gauges. https://www.autometer.com/media/2650-1124.pdf

The tee for the gauge should be as close to the carb inlet as possible.

I have to wonder if your return line installation is leaking from pressure to return.

Banned

Member #:2775
    Don't forget the brass fuel filter too, used behind the fuel inlet fitting on most carbs.

Member #:2442
    Do you have any rubber fuel lines before the fuel pump that could be collapsing from the suction from the pump? Don't know if that's possible or not but I was reading something the other day that vacuum hose and fuel hose are different in that fuel hose resists pressure from inside the hose outward but not from vacuum collapsing it. Vacuum line works the opposite way.

Banned

Pictures of your car/engine would help too. There are lot of variables not even knowing what you air cleaner set-up looks like, ignition, etc. How does the car handle/drive at 90mph, and where do you drive it?

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I run an old Eldebrock Mech on my 396 with 1/2 inch inlet and outlet and 1/2 line all the way to tank which is the original 1955 tank with a rear facing sump. A Holley regulator splits the line to each Holley 600 on top of tunnel ram. No fuel starvation issues.

Registered Member

Member #:3360
    I would check the brass filter, did you check the float level and the needle and seats?

Registered Member

Member #:3360
    I would check the brass filter, did you check the float level and the needle and seats? I would make sure the rubber hose if any on the suction side is new, and I feel it is better to push fuel then suck it, it is easier to control the pressure.

Member #:516
    Hello Tony,

I've always had and heard that Quadrajet have problems with WOT and starving for fuel at extended WOT operation. My '55 has a quadrajet and while at school we had 1/4 mile drags and mine starved between the 1/8 mile mark and the 1/4 mile mark.

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    I had a used pump, same as the current one, on the shelf. But while installing the fittings broke the housing. I took both apart and even though it's not made to be serviced, I had the valves out, got them mixed up, and put them in again. My pressure gauge now shows way less fluctuation at idle then it used to. It used to go from 3 to 5psi at idle, now it only goes from about 5.25 to 5.75, and up to 6psi as soon as it gets to 800 rpm.
    Tried it today and it ran fine, in fact on my phone I ran a 1/4 mile app and my best run when I didn't spin the tires too much I did a 12.457. Other runs when I did poorly and spun the tires a lot were almost a second longer. Can't wait to try slicks! Actually I'm not sure of the accuracy of that 12.457. Could have been a glitch on that run.
    The road I was on is a lightly traveled 4 lane divided highway and most of the time there were no other cars in sight.

Inside the q-jet is a fine screen filter in place of the paper one, it isn't dirty.

The current q-jet I'm running has a slightly larger bowl than my older one. I'd post a pic of the different bowls but I'm having pic problems. Also I use an oversize needle and seat to help keep the bowl full.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Banned

Well, trying to run 12 sec quarters on lightly traveled roads is a good way to end up on the 6 o'clock news, and just plain irresponsible. Zero-60 runs in an isolated area is barely acceptable, and will tell you just as much as you need to know.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast