Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: My 56 Chevy HT Progress

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
    did you know that a capacitor is the only thing known to man that can store electrical energy?
    So what does a battery do?
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:3682
    The capacitor is clearly for the stereo amplifier subwoofer. It handles surge currents at a frequency batteries are said to have too much internal inductance to maintain voltage. It's overkill for my amp, but wasn't too expensive and is insurance.

I mounted the battery, subwoofer, capacitor, amplifier, large unstitched fuse panel, and infinitybox rear power cell on a platform and located it behind the rear seat, using the original shock mount holes to hold it down.

Member #:1608
    Great looking car

Registered Member

Thanks JT - that’s a nice looking one too. I happen to be one of those the think the 56 2DR HT B/A is the best looking of the of the 3 years, although the nomad is close.

I do have to admit I may be a bit biased, given my first car was one. It was black, 265 power pack with 3 speed overdrive and 4.11s. It had factory power windows and black tuck and roll from Tijuana, Mexico (a $250 expense at the time, how things have changed!)

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    So what does a battery do?
    Ah Ha! I suckered someone in. A battery stores chemical energy. When used it turns it into electrical energy. Just something I learned in electronics class that I like to trick people with like our teacher tricked us.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
    Ah Ha! I suckered someone in. A battery stores chemical energy. When used it turns it into electrical energy. Just something I learned in electronics class that I like to trick people with like our teacher tricked us.
    Hence the name, storage battery.

Definition of storage battery

: a cell or connected group of cells that converts chemical energy into electrical energy by reversible chemical reactions and that may be recharged by passing a current through it in the direction opposite to that of its discharge — called also storage cell

Member #:1723

AC Compressor

Beautiful car!
    You mentioned in your first post, "The motor is GM LS3/525hp, with GM accessories, except A/C compressor (Sanden from Vintage Air). " I looked at switching out the R4 compressor for a Sanden on my GMPP serpentine kit (based on the '90-92 Z28 TPI engine, I think), and couldn't figure out a way to do it. Did you have the same serpentine configuration, and do you have any guidance on how you did the swap?
    Thanks, Doug

Registered Member

Can’t help you much BelAir-o. I doubt the lt1 brackets and accessories are compatible with the corvette ls3.

The reason I swapped out the corvette compressor is two fold: first, I could not use the passenger side low mount location because it interfered with the Morrison frame passenger side motor mount. I’d had to move the mount about two inches back. Secondly, I understand the corvette compressor has some kind of a variable clutch, and the vintage air units are not compatible with it.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    The R4 isn't a variable displacement compressor, but many later GM ones were.

Holley offers an a/c compressor bracket for an LS engine that uses an R4 compressor. It mounts the compressor up high on the passenger side. It can be used with the rest of the Holley bracket/accessory drive, or with the Chevy Performance accessory drive which is essentially the same as most Corvette LS accessory drives. Or with some other factory LS accessory drives.

Thing is, the recent discussion is mixing up accessory drives for TPI, Gen2 LT1, and LS. R4 was never used on LT1. Which do you have Belair-o?

Member #:115
    It's all symantics imo, Tony55. You put electrical energy into a battery to re-charge it and you get electrical energy out. So from a simplistic point of view, it stores electrical energy. It just converts it one way or another to store it. It's the same as saying gasoline doesn't contain thermal energy, only chemical energy. While technically true, again it's all symantics.

"Chemical energy, Energy stored in the bonds of chemical compounds. Chemical energy may be released during a chemical reaction, often in the form of heat; such reactions are called exothermic."

So do an archery bow's limbs store kinetic energy when the bow is drawn, or do the molecules in the bow store the energy as their bonds are stretched and electrical charges or chemical bonds hold them together?
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast