Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: My 56 Chevy HT Progress

Banned

Member #:2775
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    It's all symantics imo, Tony55. You put electrical energy into a battery to re-charge it and you get electrical energy out. So from a simplistic point of view, it stores electrical energy. It just converts it one way or another to store it. It's the same as saying gasoline doesn't contain thermal energy, only chemical energy. While technically true, again it's all symantics.

"Chemical energy, Energy stored in the bonds of chemical compounds. Chemical energy may be released during a chemical reaction, often in the form of heat; such reactions are called exothermic."

So do an archery bow's limbs store kinetic energy when the bow is drawn, or do the molecules in the bow store the energy as their bonds are stretched and electrical charges or chemical bonds hold them together?
    I would love to comment, but I would be the one to take the keyboard beating for de-railing the OP's 56 progress thread, which is an awesome car BTW.

Member #:3217
    Yep, you fellas should take your 'forms of energy' discussion to it's own thread..

Member #:1723
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    The R4 isn't a variable displacement compressor, but many later GM ones were.

Holley offers an a/c compressor bracket for an LS engine that uses an R4 compressor. It mounts the compressor up high on the passenger side. It can be used with the rest of the Holley bracket/accessory drive, or with the Chevy Performance accessory drive which is essentially the same as most Corvette LS accessory drives. Or with some other factory LS accessory drives.

Thing is, the recent discussion is mixing up accessory drives for TPI, Gen2 LT1, and LS. R4 was never used on LT1. Which do you have Belair-o?
    Hi Rick and TrifiveRichard,
    Sorry, I missed your responses in the battery debate.

You are right, I don't have the same setup as Richard, was just thinking there might be a path I hadn't considered before. I have a 327, and put a GMPP serpentine belt setup on it, which came with the R4. I had hoped to put a Sanden on it, but couldn't see how to make it work without surgery to the mount and Sanden compressor (couldn't get the belt to line up and the Sanden to fit the GMPP compressor bracket).
    Thanks, Doug

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    nice build, your doing good Richard.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Registered Member

Member #:1800
    Whoa!
    Great build, look forward to more !

Registered Member

Member #:3682
    Thanks - fyi, attached are a few more pictures, specifically of the air intake. The LS3 needs a reasonable length tube to locate the mass airflow sensor and the PVC air intake, something like 6 inches from the motor intake. Also, I really didn't like the air cleaner element in the engine bay (looks and heat) so I located the air box and K&N filter under the passenger fender. The bottom of the box is removable for swapping the element, and the air comes in from the radiator space, inner fender. The tubes and flanges are aluminum and are now black anodized.

Induction1.jpgInduction2.jpgInduction3.jpg

Registered Member

Attached are a few more pics, specifically of the heater-ac hose routing and connections under the hood. The vintage air evaporator unit in the passenger compartment has beed moved toward the passenger side, and mounted via a custom firewall mount I fabricated. The heater control valve is located inside that area also (yes, it would take some effort to change it out, but I don't envision the vehicle will see enough miles to need replacing it). The heater-ac hoses exit below the A-pilar rather than the location vintage air planned (this allowed me to mount the LS3 relay/fuse panel out of the way and clear the hinge). The firewall mount is a machined clam shell piece I made, along with another one that bolts to the inner fender to keep the lines straight. In addition, I removed the hose bibs from the motor water pump and tapped the holes (3/8 and 1/2 NPT). This allowed me to use 6-AN fittings for both heater hoses, and i think it provides a better connection and looks nicer, also.

Edit: pictures flipped, not sure why...?

AC1.JPG AC2.jpg AC3.JPG AC4.JPG AC5.JPG
    Last edited by TrifiveRichard; 02-21-2018 at 12:04 PM. Reason: pictures flipped

Registered Member

Member #:571
    TrifiveRichard, I like your airbox and plumbing. I've been searching for ideas on plumbing mine. Had several ideas, all of which had some kind of flaw, difficulty, bad looks, or just plain lack of room.

Registered Member

The LS3 needs such a long run for the MAS, and it's not easy to plumb a good looking intake system. I may yet put cover over it, not sure. I haven't assembled everything with the anodized tube t take a final look...

Member #:3217
    Dick,

I *think* the photo rotation will be solved if you load the photos (phone pix I'm sure?) into your computer and make sure they are right side up there (if not, then rotate them). If they appear correctly oriented on your computer then they should come out fine here...

Gary

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast