Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: My 56 Chevy HT Progress

Member #:3217
    For those who don't know ... yet...

Dick's motto is: "Why buy any other material if stainless is available?" and the corrollary... 'If you can't buy it in SS, then make it yourself', and the 2nd corrollary.. 'Leave no stainless unpolished'...

Ps. if we are assembling something, and the fasteners aren't polished, then we 'halt assembly' while Dick polishes the parts... and woe to me if I install the shiny polished side of a washer 'down'...

PPS. I'm only slightly kidding him here... VERy slightly...

Registered Member

Member #:3682
    Hey Gary, you’re about right, and it works for me!

Registered Member

Member #:3360
    I agree on the stainless motto, kept up the good work.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    Dick's motto is: "Why buy any other material if stainless is available?" and the corrollary... 'If you can't buy it in SS, then make it yourself', and the 2nd corrollary.. 'Leave no stainless unpolished'...
    I thought I was the only one who was that anal.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    I thought I was the only one who was that anal.
    Nope! If anyone on this site can equal or beat your 'anal-ness' quotient, it might be Dick!

Just kidding of course, I admire both your fellas work, but both are way beyond what I strive for in my 'drivers'.... I asked Dick yesterday why he bothered putting all that 'extra' stuff in the car (like windshield wiper systems, sound systems, Ac, etc).. when it would probably never get driven!

PS. He's beginning to rub off on me... by convincing me that 304 stainless is superior to 409 stainless, so now I'm looking for 304 stainless for my exhaust parts... Just learned that Magnaflow doesn't use 304 stainless in their systems (mufflers or pipes)... it's all 409!
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 04-20-2018 at 08:08 AM.

Registered Member

I think, guys, that the statement is 'to each their own'! I enjoy all versions of vehicles, as I know most of you do! As for my projects, I'm probably more detailed than many others, but I enjoy putting my unique stamp on them.

On to progress, Gary and I put the weatherstripping on he doors yesterday. Wasn't too big a deal, except getting it on the front jamb. As Gary says, the weatherstripping should go on before hanging the door. I've done that before too, and then had problems aligning the door. So, I guess you choose your poison!

Finished buffing the engine air intake tube/elbow, and installed the tube. I still have the K&N filter and elbow to put on. With that done, the engine is startable.

I've also been working on the 3 point seat belts. I modified the rear door jamb/lower quarter panel supports, located the reels inside, and added a belt guide at the top of the rear arm rests, where the belts exit. Given the car's a hardtop, the top belt pivot could not be located where it crosses the shoulder in the right place. To fix this, I made a belt drop (in the pictures with the air tube), about 5 inches, that bolts to the roof and the belt top pivot - plan to cover the drop in leather.

Details, details and the clock's ticking, need to get the electrical checked out and engine started pretty soon...

Car3.jpg Eng1.JPG Eng5.JPG Eng7.JPG Int6.jpg Int7.jpg Int8.jpg

Dick... I'm sure you know I'm kidding you... and admire your customization (and polishing) skills..

Hey, If I come over tomorrow... are we going to start that 525 hp beast?

Registered Member

Today’s job is to check out the electrical. Everything is wired up, so it’s a good time to do it. Then we can add the last of the fluids and crank it up!

Registered Member

Got to the shop this morning fully intending to work on the electrical checkout, then realized the car frontend was still on jack stands from putting the door weatherstrip on (couldn't use the lift - the posts would be at the center of the doors...). Also, the passenger front tire was off, from installing the air tube yesterday. The memory isn't what it used to be!

Soooo, I decided to finish the air induction: making rubber gaskets to hold the ends of the 90 degree elbow, clamping the elbow with the anodized aluminum end seals previously made, mounting the air filter and sealing the air box. You'll see in the pictures the air intake in the grill/radiator space is a 4 inch hole. I'd like to use some kind of wire mesh over the opening, but am concerned with air flow restriction. I've seen some stainless meshes McMaster-Carr has, but they seem to have 12% and up reduction in open area. QUESTION: what have others done/considering doing?

Eng10.JPG Eng13.JPG

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I've seen some numbers on what a 4" intake pipe will support, I think it's on the order of 800 hp but don't hold me to it (and I forgot where I saw it). Point is a 12% restriction won't mean much considering that, and it's probably far less restriction than the filter element.

I've been scratching my head on what to do for a cold air intake on my 55. No room on the sides of the radiator. Thought about a filter below the radiator, saw a nice one on trifive.com, but again the stuff I already had didn't allow enough room for a decent size panel filter, plus routing a 4" pipe in a big u-loop past radiator hoses etc. seemed difficult too. When I saw yours I said aha that's something I can make work. But on a 55 there's not enough length ahead of the radiator support to have an elbow at the inlet of the box like on your 56. After several days of making cardboard templates and checking clearances I've come up with something that I think will work. My box will just have the front partially open at the top to allow air in. I haven't decided on expanded or perforated materal for the opening, may just run a "dust sock" over the element to keep out the 2x4s and firehose size streams of water. The "dust sock" is just a fine woven mesh that AEM sells. I also will be running a dry AEM filter instead of the usual oiled K&N or Spectre filter after reading stories about air filter oil contaminating MAF sensors. During my air filter dealings with AEM, I found out they are owned by K&N. K&N also owns Spectre.

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast