Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My 56 Chevy HT Progress

Registered Member

Member #:3682

My 56 Chevy HT Progress

I recently joined the site, and thought I'd share some of my progress on our 56 chevy 2dr ht. We purchased the car back in 2013, and really got started on it in late 2014, so it's taken a while. I am now finishing up the electrical, have the windshield and rear glass to install yet, add fluids, and start it up. Then it will go to the upholsterer.

We bought the car in LA while on a trip there, and had it shipped to AL. The body has been dipped, then I completed the sheetmetal work. The body was pretty good, but did need inner/outer rockers, trunk lower lip, driver and passenger foot wells replaced.

The build is a restomod, with the body virtually stock on the outside. The chassis is an Art Morrison GT55 with coilers on all 4 corners and 2" dropped front spindles. The reared is a 9" posi with 3.73 gears. The wheels are around 2013 corvette chrome GM units, front 8.5x18 and 9.5x19 (as I recall). The motor is GM LS3/525hp, with GM accessories, except A/C compressor (Sanden from Vintage Air). The trans is a TREMEC magnum close ratio unit. The exterior color is base/clear coat black. The interior will be an older Ferrari cream/yellowish color. We added power windows/door locks, DVR receiver/amp, rain gear under dash wiper motor, vintage air A/C, Classic instruments gauge cluster. The front seats are 2006ish GTO, and the rear will be hand built by the upholsterer to complement the front.

Attached are a few pictures of progress along the way, and as it sets today.

56 chevy 4.jpeg56 chevy 1.jpeg56 Chevy 2.jpeg56 Chevy 3.jpeg

Registered Member

Member #:3018
    Looks pretty sharp man. I like the H pipe made from V bands, I wasn't aware that the Art Morrison chassis had provisions for that.

Member #:3249
    WOW! You are making my 56 project look like junk! Nice work!

Member #:3217
    Having watched Dick's work and progress on his '56 HT over the past 3-4 yrs, it's my opinion that it's going to be a real hit at any shows he takes it to once completed... including the biggest TriFive shows!

PS. I noticed he didn't say anything about the 'Infinity' system he installed... .. or the 3 Farad capacitor... I told him he's the first/only fella ever to install one of those infinity systems in an automobile, but maybe I'm wrong!~
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 02-06-2018 at 03:54 PM.

Registered Member

thanks for the comments guys. The Morrison chassis doesn't come with the holes for the H-pipe. I cut out round sections in the inner frame rails and welded in 3.5" tubes. The exhaust goes thru those. The pipe is mounted solid to the trans side of the trans mount, much like the C3 corvettes did.

Gary (BamaNomad) is quite an advocate of Infinitybox! This is the first time I have used the system. It has some nice features, like soft stop on the power windows, as well as disabling the ignition and fuel pump when the key fob lock is activated. Overall though, I probably will not install another one. They are expensive, have there own idiosyncracies, and I don't see the bang-for-the-buck in this type of application. One lesson learned from installing one, is be sure to get power windows that have a reversible polarity motor, not the center-tapped one. I didn't, and had to add 8 relays (2/motor) to get the box to work with my power windows. Dick

Member #:3217
    Dick posted: .... Gary (BamaNomad) is quite an advocate of Infinitybox! " ....

My response? NOT! I suggest you show them some photos and tell the forum here a bit about it physically...

Registered Member

I thought that statement would draw your attention Gary!.....It really is an interesting architecture, but as I've said, I don't plan on using the system again. Interested parties can go to the website (infinitybox.com) and check it out themselves. If there are specific questions anyone would like info or an opinion on, let me know. Dick

Banned

Member #:2775
    Well done!!! Soon anyway, wanting to hear how it performs.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I like the car.

What is an infinity box? Since I don't know I probably don't need one, but curious just the same.

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    .. or the 3 Farad capacitor... I told him he's the first/only fella ever to install one of those infinity systems in an automobile, but maybe I'm wrong!~
    Wow! Something tells me that that car will never see and automatic carwash!
    A 3 farad capacitor! With that mention and the infinity system I was guessing the infinity system was for sound but hooking it up to the power windows doesn't make sense (to me anyway)

Back to the 3 farad capacitor, did you know that a capacitor is the only thing known to man that can store electrical energy?
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast