Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: My 56 Chevy HT Progress

Registered Member

Member #:2643
    Great workmanship! Looks bad ass in black!
    Dave, from the old neighborhood in Jersey!

Member #:3217
    When Dick gets his upholstery done, and takes his car to a car show.. I guarantee it's going to be a SHOW STOPPER!~

Member #:530
    Nice 56 ya got there Dick. May I ask you what the wheel/tire combo's and sizes are?
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Registered Member

Member #:3682
    Thanks WC, the wheels are corvette 2013 vintage chrome with plain center caps. The rears are 19x9.5 and the fronts are 18x8.5, best I recall. The rear tires are 285/35R19 and the front tires are 245/40R18, which I believe are also stock corvette sizes. The 9” housing from Strange is a custom width to fit the rears in the stock wheel wells. There’s only about ˝” clearance inside to the body and the same outside to the quarter panel.
    Last edited by TrifiveRichard; 03-07-2018 at 07:49 PM.

Member #:115
    I think those wheels look great on your car Dick. A lot of guys hate those "flat faced" wheels (high positive offset) and the short sidewalls, but imo they make the car look more modern and improves handling. Virtually every newer car out there has 17-20" wheels with a lot of positive offset. To me, a 15" wheel with a huge dish and ATV-like balloon tires (like the 56 in the banner at the top of the page) looks a lot worse, like something from the 60's.

When do you think you'll be driving it?
    Last edited by chevynut; 03-07-2018 at 08:40 PM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

I’m not too far from getting it running, although I’ve run into a snag on the upholstery. The guy I’ve used before has a health problem (stroke and recent seizure) and is out of commission for an indeterminate time. There are some well known shops here in Alabama (Paul Atkins, Shannon, M&M), and I’ll be talking with them shortly. Problem is, it could be a year or two to get in...

Registered Member

Been working on the interior lately. Routed wires thru the A-pillar and across the windshield top internal brace to the center of the window. I'm using a 2002 Camaro internal rear view mirror with map lights (takes 3 wires), mounting an internal radio antenna center also (3 wires), and a microphone(1 wire). It wasn't exactly fun running 7 wires to the center top of the windshield, but I succeeded! I also have been working on the center console. The fiberglass console is from Billy Dawson, intended for an automatic. I liked the overall shape, so I modified it for the 6-speed, adding 9 inches where the shifter goes, and deleting 7 inches in the rear where a glove box will go. As you see in the pictures, the DVR/receiver is mounted under the dash glove box. Also, the paper template is sizing for a plate we'll machine. It will also contain two cup holders as well as the shifter. As you all know, progress is slow, but eventually we get there!

Next week we will be talking with upholsterers. We may still be able to make the tri5 nationals in August...Dick

Int1.jpg Int2.jpg Int3.jpg Int4.jpg Int5.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by TrifiveRichard View Post
    Routed wires thru the A-pillar and across the windshield top internal brace to the center of the window. I'm using a 2002 Camaro internal rear view mirror with map lights (takes 3 wires), mounting an internal radio antenna center also (3 wires), and a microphone(1 wire).
    I'm using a similar auto-dimming mirror with thermometer and compass. I think they're pretty much all made by the same company... Gentex. Does yours mount to a bracket that's glued to the windshield? I would prefer it if mine didn't but that's how it mounts. It's almost the same mirror as the one in my 03 Silverado.

Also, what radio antenna are you using? I'm still debating whether to use the stock one on the fender, and I need to decide NOW if I'm going to leave the hole. I've tried making it a power antenna but haven't finished that project yet.

It wasn't exactly fun running 7 wires to the center top of the windshield, but I succeeded!
    So you actually rant the wires INSIDE the a-pillar? I was going to run mine under the trim if it fits.

Looking good! Glad to see it has all the pedals!

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

The mirror has an integral post that allows it to be moved up/down and rotate. Yes, it mounts to the windshield. This leaves about 3/4 " gap in the garnish molding that will have to be filled. I'm thinking about cutting down the factory mirror bracket (filling the back with JB Weld) to only that behind the garnish molding and painting it black to blend in.

The antenna is the interior rectangular one with extensions to the two sides (I don't like having the antenna on the outside of the car). I've used this one before on the 66 Chevy II. It has a preamp, but still isn't very sensitive. Having said that, I really use the iPhone or CD mostly, so as long as I get local stations, I'm okay.

And yup, it has all the pedals - did you notice the parking brake pedal? I really don't like the stock pull handle parking brake. I used a foot pedal from a 69 Camaro, and modified to fit the firewall. It works well, I like the looks, and they are pretty inexpensive (about $85).

Quote Originally Posted by TrifiveRichard View Post
    The mirror has an integral post that allows it to be moved up/down and rotate. Yes, it mounts to the windshield. This leaves about 3/4 " gap in the garnish molding that will have to be filled. I'm thinking about cutting down the factory mirror bracket (filling the back with JB Weld) to only that behind the garnish molding and painting it black to blend in.
    I made a filler that goes over the ends of the two upper moldings and had it chromed since Nomad windshield molding is chrome. I think that will work but we'll see.

did you notice the parking brake pedal? I really don't like the stock pull handle parking brake. I used a foot pedal from a 69 Camaro, and modified to fit the firewall. It works well, I like the looks, and they are pretty inexpensive (about $85).
    I went with the Lokar e-brake foot pedal to match my Lokar pedal covers and gas pedal. I didn't think the hand brake would work very well at the time. I probably could have found an OEM one too but I got lazy I guess.

20071111_999_18.JPG
    Last edited by chevynut; 03-11-2018 at 07:34 PM.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast