Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: My 56 Chevy HT Progress

Registered Member

Member #:3682
    Thanks CN, no I don’t have any pictures. I just cut the fiberglass, beveled the edges, made a sheet metal piece for the shift area extension, overlapped it under the glass, and pop riveted/ glued it onto the console halves. Then Gary glassed over the metal, I sanded it down, filled it, and sanded the filler down. For the shortened section, I did it the same way, except just butted up the beveled edges. To finish it off, the whole console was epoxy sealed and shot with semi-gloss black.

The console will be covered in the same leather as the seats. In addition, the interior shop has made some false trans tunnel sides for trifives that go partially up the console. These are carpeted and reduce the apparent depth of the console. I’ve seen pictures and like the result.
    Last edited by TrifiveRichard; 03-28-2018 at 05:52 AM.

Member #:115
    You guys did a nice job modifying that console and you can't eve tell you did it. I really like the machined plate on top too. Which Tremec transmission are you using? It looks like the shifter is sitting about where mine is so I'm guessing it's a T56 Magnum? The F-body T-56s seem to put the shifter further back than yours is. Are you using a Hurst Billet Plus shifter? Your setup including the shifter lever looks just like mine. I haven't decided what boot to use on top yet, I have two boots below the console. Can't wait to see the interior come together.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    Wow, I missed this thread. Beautiful work! Does that go all the way to the back seat?
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
    Wow, I missed this thread. Beautiful work! Does that go all the way to the back seat?
    The console extends a little behind the front bucket seat, but not to the back seat. I didn’t want it to go that far, and that’s why I took 7 inches out of the box area.

Registered Member

You’re right CN - the trans is a Tremec Magnum, close ratio box. The shifter happens to be a short throw Hurst from a comp plus 4 speed linkage I had on the shelf. It’s currently being rechromed. I also have a floor boot I made to seal the tunnel and a second in the console. The console boot happens to be a repro 68 GTO 4 speed one. I haven’t decided yet whether I’ll cover it with leather or not.

I’m working off those ‘details’, and am anxious to get the 56 started and off to the interior shop. It’s taken the better part of 4 years working to get here, and I’m ready to drive it!

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by TrifiveRichard View Post
    The shifter happens to be a short throw Hurst from a comp plus 4 speed linkage I had on the shelf.
    I ended up buying a Hurst flat lever and don't know if I should have bought a shorter one. I think mine is 9" long and there's one that's 7.5". I don't think they even sell the one I have anymore. I guess I'll deal with that when the time comes and I get the console done. I may just cut it down and weld it if it's too long. Any idea how long yours is?

I also have a floor boot I made to seal the tunnel and a second in the console.
    Sounds like we've been down the same path. My console has a floor so I have a boot in the console, and the console floor will be sealed to the tunnel with some kind of foam rubber seal. Then the Hurst shifter has it's own boot on it.

I haven’t decided yet whether I’ll cover it with leather or not.
    I'm pretty sure mine will be leather. I think it will look more modern that way.

It’s taken the better part of 4 years working to get here, and I’m ready to drive it!
    That's all?
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

I’d say the stick is 6 to 7 inches long. Sitting in the seat, the reach feels about right, and I like the short throw. I’ve had the 56 for something over 5 years, but didn’t work on it for over a year while I finished the 66 Chevy II, so it might be 4 ˝ years working on it...

Member #:1653
    Nice build Richard.

Registered Member

Thanks Nick - looks like you’re building a 55, how’s it coming along?

Member #:3611
    looking good, really like the console and the inside rear view mirror upgrade

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast