Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 57 hard top build.

Member #:530
    I see those gauge pod images now...nice and clear and large.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Registered Member

Member #:3678

Glove box mock-up.

Two different glove box stop-arms were used in 57, one that stops the door opening at the top inside dash and one that stops towards the bottom as well as two different glove box inside spot welded braces for whatever reason.(Different suppliers?) I chose the one that stops at the bottom and reconfigured it so that it will stop the door above console once completed.Letters and numbers cut from old licence plates and Chevy emblem is a 50`s truck radio delete all welded to the door.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Continuing along the lines of the unusual and the use of old metal license plates and other, are the inner fender wells.Perhaps many would`nt do much beyond welding up holes, bending new ones, smoothing, ect. One side is my New Jersey affiliation and the other Florida.Some letters I could not find in the same stamping so I made or remade with weld. three coats of SPI epoxy and wet sanded.Finial finishing to happen after re-primed and completed blasting. I sealed the back of each (except two) with JB Weld while wet, clamped pieces of 22 gauge, welded the edges, ground somewhat flat and more SPI.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #:3217
    wow... that is really neat but it seems to be HUGE amount of work to do it...

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    wow... that is really neat but it seems to be HUGE amount of work to do it...
    Thanks and yes, much work that I am no stranger to. I found controlling the heat on the welds was somewhat challenging to get proper penetration without warping the surrounding metal. I`m thinking after paint I will use a small roller to paint the different colors on the raised letters, numbers, other.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234