Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NOS Guy

Member #:3718

NOS Guy

Hello All,

I hope this place is a bit more friendly than the "other one". Seems there is a certain click over there and if you're not part of that then you can post until your fingers bleed but most of it gets ignored. At least that's the impression it left on me. So here I am. I am a dedicated Hot Rodder, been that way since I was about 12 years old and I still believe that engines run because you have Fuel, Air, Compression and Spark. It's really basic stuff. I grew up in a great time with cars and I learned a lot from older mechanics - some of which is almost a lost art now. I also believe that just because someone else doesn't think you should do it because they are afraid to venture into the unknown, doesn't mean you cannot do it.

Oh and my favorite of the Tri-Fives is and always will be the 1955 Sedan. Here's my 1955 Chevy story.....so far:

Roughly about 46 years ago, I purchased my first 1955 Chevy. It was a pure stock, 4 door model with a 265 cubic inch motor and automatic transmission. The purpose of the car was for my girlfriend to have something to drive back and forth to school. I think we paid $175 for the car from a used car lot, but the car had vacuum windshield wipers on it and she hated driving it whenever it rained so it didn’t stay around too long. We had some fun cleaning it up and drove it for most of that summer and no doubt that it was actually a pretty decent car.

Next up was a mess of a car that was a combination of sheet-metal and attending paint colors that all combined summed up the next ‘55 Chevy we owned. This one was actually spotted by my wife who was that girlfriend in the previous paragraph, not too long after we had seen the Two Lane Blacktop movie. And of course I was just positive I could turn it into that car on the screen. This particular car had parts from just about anything and everything that you could imagine. Wood 2x4's were used under the bucket seats that came from something unknown so that you could see out the windshield and the radio was haunted. Kind of like that Christine thing, it would turn itself on and off, change stations, play weird songs, all of it very strange. The motivation for this one was a 350/4 speed Muncie transmission deal. The car was actually pretty quick and we enjoyed driving it around although I am sure the seven different paint colors on it made other motorist rather nervous. My wife and I still talk about the times that we would take our baby son to the drive-in, put a blanket on the hood and set him between us. We were dead-broke most of the time, but it sure is funny how we still managed to have a good time. I enjoyed that car probably more than any other that I have ever owned. Of course sometimes those long rear views can have a touch of romantic nonsense that can make it seem better than it really was at the time but none the less, we were doing a-okay.

A bit later on I had the notion that I wanted a full time drag car and the ‘55 was going to be it. We put a hotter cam in the engine, cut two coils off the front end (no, I don’t know why!), replaced the side glass with plexiglass and that was about the extent of the modifications. I would fire up the car on Saturday morning to check it out while every lawnmower in the neighborhood was running, but within about 15 minutes I would have another visit from the local authorities, compliments of a really nice neighbor down the street. We flat towed the car to the drag strip and normally spent our day there chasing one problem or the other. Most of the time the car ran great in the driveway at home, but by the time we got it to the strip we had used up all of our luck. After about one summer of this, I had tired of the “fun” and we had also decided to sell our place and move. The real estate person suggested that we might have better luck if we ditched the weird looking car in the driveway, so I pulled the engine then towed it to a local junkyard and turned over the title. The house sold just a few weeks later, but I’ll never know if getting rid of the car had anything to do with it or not.

So that brings us up to now and how did I manage to end up with another ‘55 Chevy? Well, about 20 years ago I thought that getting into street rodding would be fun, but I wasn’t quite ready to make the jump into the really old vintage tin stuff. However, the 50’s stuff was looking like fun so I found a ‘49 Ford. The only problem I ever had with it was that I wanted it to be a ‘55 Chevy. That’s just a bit difficult as you might imagine. So after having done very little with the ‘49, I decided it was time to sell it and just let the whole street rod type deal go by the wayside. I placed an ad in the local trader paper and to my surprise was contacted almost immediately. During the transaction, I was asked why I was selling the car and I simply said that I really wanted a ‘55 Chevy, but that I also knew that anything decent was completely out of my price range. The person that was buying the ‘49 surprised me by telling me that they happened to own one and wanted to sell it too. We worked out a trade of cars at that point and I found myself owning my third and final 1955 Chevy. This one is a 210 model, 2 door post ~ identical to the model used in the Two Lane Blacktop movie (and of course American Graffiti). I cannot believe my luck in finding one of these and while it certainly is in need of work, it’s no worse that the Ford that I let go, besides, it’s a ‘55 Chevy!!

Current plans call for a large motor, automatic, decent performance that can cruise to the ice cream shop yet do some fun duty at the strip on a Friday night. My wife accused me one time of being a teenager that had never grown up - she’s actually dead right and there’s no arguing the point. But she’s also that same pretty girlfriend that I bought that first ‘55 for -so I think we’re going to be a-okay.
    Remember the "13"

Member #:3217
    Welcome to the site, Chas... and I enjoyed reading your story. Probably not a lot different than many (or most) of us, re not having much money or options when we were younger, but 'still' in our teens...

Your trade: 'Ford shoebox' for a 'Chevy showbox' sounds like a good trade to me!!

Ohhh... you're in Montpelier? That's in Vermont ? or ?? Help us in our geography!

Gary / BamaNomad

Thank you! It's Virginia, just north of the Capital of the South - Richmond.

Member #:115
    Welcome to the site. I think you might like it here.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:530
    Welcome to the site Chas. Glad to see someone with a 55 gasser "two lane blacktop" model!
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Member #:3
    Welcome to the site Chas,

One of the best introductions yet on this site , Love what your plans are for it !!
    The best part is make it how you want it .

Thanks Sid

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

My thanks to all of you for the kind words. I look forward to helping out around here and of course getting a few questions answered myself.

I think one of the "issues" that I tend to run into and I know it rubs me the wrong way is the bad information that gets passed along to people sometimes as the only truth. I am really not sure what happened but basic troubleshooting skills seem to have almost vanished at an alarming rate. I saw this happening 20 years ago in the company that I worked at. Young people would come in and you try to explain the problem is somewhere between A and Z, lets take a look at A to N and make sure it's okay there. If it is we move on to the next section. Most of them couldn't stand it and you would find them running back and forth trying all kinds of stuff, but never getting it fixed. Working on automobiles to me is the same deal, people get caught up in a problem like it started last week, now it doesn't. Well, does it crank? And you get an answer back that says, "I SAID it doesn't start".

About the only thing I am pretty sure about is that this hobby isn't for everyone. I also know that I see some impressive work on a lot of cars and I stand in awe of the people who can perform that kind of work. So every time I work on one of mine, I have it in my head - how can I do it just a little bit better? Let's have fun!

Member #:1608
    Welcome to the site, glad your here

Banned

Member #:2941
    Welcome aboard, Chas! You are amongst friends here. Many of us are expats from other websites such as the one you mentioned. Look forward to hearing more about your car as it progresses.

Happy Motoring,

Harry

Member #:3249
    Welcome from AZ!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast