Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Back to my fuel vapor in the lines.

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    It's a lot easier to diagnose a problem with a car right in front of you than to have someone describe symptoms, change them, feed bits of information at a time, and ask someone to diagnose it over the internet. I agree with Rick that something wasn't right with your fuel system and you never really did figure out the true root cause. You changed too many things at one time to say precisely what was causing the problem. There's probably guys in your area with carbs and mechanical fuel pumps using the same exact gas that don't have the same problem....so why not?

Yes it looked like the fuel was "boiling" in your pump and/or fuel lines and you fixed it by changing to an electric pump. But can you say exactly WHY it was "boiling"? I personally don't know if you can based on all the things you changed. Was the pump too hot? Were you pulling a vacuum on the fuel line? Was your fuel bad? Why was the fuel still boiling on the pressure side of the pump? Or was the line to the pump hot enough to vaporize the fuel?

Anyhow, I'm glad you got it fixed too.
    Yes I do know the problem. The fuel pump was heating the fuel to over it's boiling point. No "hot lines" boiling it. I don't know what you mean about changing too many things at once. I changed the fuel pump to an electric one mounted in a cooler area and the problem went away. Bad gas? Bad gas for years and years from 20 or more different gas stations? All the info is in the thread, but it was quite a long thread and I don't expect anyone to re-read it all.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I have to agree with both Cnut and Rick, really don't believe a pump was heating fuel. Too many cars have driven million of miles without this issue.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I have to agree with both Cnut and Rick, really don't believe a pump was heating fuel. Too many cars have driven million of miles without this issue.
    Have you watched this video? No it's not mine. Do you believe it or do you think they are wrong also?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cadNfSNi_Oc
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

And by the way, cnut found that video and he believes it. Rick? Who knows if he saw the video or not, if he did he would probably deny it.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I saw the video, and I believe you can make gasoline boil if you try to. And maybe yours did too. But you didn't find out why did you? Again, they don't all do that, in fact very few. Yours.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    I saw the video, and I believe you can make gasoline boil if you try to. And maybe yours did too. But you didn't find out why did you? Again, they don't all do that, in fact very few. Yours.
    Mine, and the ones in the video, the ones in other videos if you do a search there are lots of them using just a bypass, the same thing I did a few years ago and it worked 95% of the time but I was going for 100%, and the other ones that are fixed the same way that we will never know about, and the thousands and thousands more that haven't figured it out yet. And how many thousands have bought these in an attempt to fix their boiling problem. https://www.summitracing.com/search/...p%20Insulators

Wow Rick! 17 different fuel pump insulators being sold at Summit. Sounds like they are in high demand! Sure, but you still think I'm the only one with fuel boiling issues. I looked at the first one and the first sentence in the review states "I purchased this product as one step in reducing my fuel boiling issue." Sure Rick, I'm the only one. And the first review of the second one states "This insulator is one of the things that helped stop my gasoline vapor lock problem. It really works 100 times better if you can divert hot radiator air from the pump and divert cool air to it." (diverting the air was another trick I did for a while, would you like to see where I cut off the bottom of the radiator baffle to allow cool air to the pump?) Sure Rick, I'm the only one. I'd go on but your ignorance about this simple problem isn't worth my time. Well maybe if you keep giving me excuses to show your ignorance on the subject, I may chime in again. Like I've posted more than a couple times, you are a seemingly intelligent person, but when you are dead wrong you simply don't have the gonads to admit it.

You are really sounding like an a$$hole. Yes Rick, once again I will tell you why since you keep forgetting. It boiled in the fuel pump because the temperature got above the boiling point of the gasoline. That is what caused the problem for me and many thousands, maybe 10's of thousands of other people with the same problem.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

You're not the only one. But you're the only one on this forum that didn't find what the REAL problem is.

Those "insulators" don't do anything. Bypasses are not the answer either.

Thing is, you should be happy that your problem is "solved" instead of being bitter.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Please refer to my latest reply to Rick and try thinking before you post.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Let's see. I'm an asshole because I disagree with you? You post a problem seeking solutions to your fuel problem. You then argue with those who reply. Who's the asshole here?

If you don't think I'm right, then just ignore what I said. Simple solution.

Member #:115
    I think I'd be more convinced if you would have installed the electric pump and run it through the existing fuel line to your existing mechanical pump without any other modifications, as I suggested. If the problem went away, it was NOT the mechanical pump getting too hot. If the problem remained, I would have agreed the pump was getting the gas too hot. You changed the fittings in the tank, the pickup location, the line between the pump and the tank, and re-routed the line to the carb. To prove root cause you change ONE thing at a time. To "shotgun" the problem and just fix it, you can change everything you want to.

The video showed a similar problem as yours. But again they changed a bunch of things to fix it.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast