Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Back to my fuel vapor in the lines.

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    I forgot to add one thing, I think I should make it my signature file:
    HEAT is ALWAYS the common denominator, that would be referring to air temp, not engine temperature. Either unseasonably warm with winter gas, or very hot with summer gas.

Registered Member

Boiling Gasoline

Like I had said, I got rid of the bypass filter and installed a clear one to show what is happening. The sun came out and it got warm, about 60F, took it out and it acted up much worse than with the vapor bypass filter. Then I came home and with the parking brake on left it idle in drive so under the hood temps would rise. It surprised me how much the gasoline boiled as in the first video. The second one shows how after revving it to cool down, then turning the engine off, again it boiled but it's difficult to see. I thought I had a good video with the engine off but I guess I hit the wrong button. Anyway you can see a few bubbles but there was a lot more than on that clip. It showed me that there was definitely boiling going on, the engine was off so it wasn't sucking air in anywhere. (I don't know what the heck was on the radio!?)lol The first video starts getting good about half way through.

https://youtu.be/RfGK1s_Ohhg
    https://youtu.be/4eVyLw57IKU
    Last edited by 55 Tony; 03-06-2018 at 04:46 PM.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Next time it's warm enough to do this I will try ice or the garden hose on the fuel pump to see if that is where it's getting hot enough to boil.

https://youtu.be/RfGK1s_Ohhg
    https://youtu.be/4eVyLw57IKU
    Last edited by 55 Tony; 03-07-2018 at 07:05 AM.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Member #:3360
    Tony I noticed that you have the filter sitting on the alt. and the fuel line to the carb close to the alt. also. That is not good the alt. generates a lot of heat, try to change that problem first.

Member #:115
    It looks to me like the air/vapor is coming INTO the fuel filter from the fuel line. Look right at the filter inlet and you can see it. So if it's boiling or sucking air, it has to be before the filter. Personally I'm not convinced it's boiling especially since it's supposed to be under pressure in the filter. If it was me I'd eliminate any issues with the fuel line/tank/pickup and everything before the pump by plumbing in a gas container directly to the pump inlet and see if it keeps doing it. Should be an easy and quick check to do. If it goes away, you know where the problem is.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Quote Originally Posted by chasracer View Post
    The larger that line gets, the harder it is to push fuel through it
    That is simply not true . A larger line has less resistance to flow.

One last item to mention is the fuel tank cap - I honestly do not remember the changeover year, but at least prior to the mid-70's, fuel tank caps were of a vented type. Putting a non-vented cap on these tanks will cause fuel delivery issues too.
    Very good point. Pulling a vacuum on the tank will lower the pressure in the entire system.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by bigblock View Post
    Tony I noticed that you have the filter sitting on the alt. and the fuel line to the carb close to the alt. also. That is not good the alt. generates a lot of heat, try to change that problem first.
    It looks it at that angle but the end of the hose at the filter is about 1.25" from the alternator. The lower fitting on the regulator is close, about .25", but with the air from the fan I don't think it makes a significant difference. Anyway it's just a temporary setup so I could see the problem. So far I know it's before the filter.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

CN, yes the boiling is without a doubt before the filter! That's why I said next time it's warm enough I'm going to try ice or garden hose on the fuel pump and see if it stops boiling.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Yes the gas cap is vented and it's not plugged up either. That was verified years ago and checked quite a few more times since. Trust me, if you were here and saw how every time it acts up is heat related, you changed the pickup in the new tank to 3/8 and ran 3/8 line, and a boat load of other things, you would believe it's boiling. It snowed this morning, I don't think it's going to get warm enough today to test it but I'm dying to see what cooling down the fuel pump does.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

I dunno about you but my strategy for troubleshooting a problem is a process of elimination . You have a visual indication of the problem that's apparently occurring somewhere between the filter and the tank so it shouldn't be hard to find what's causing it. You can eliminate everything before the pump by plumbing in another temporary container directly into the pump. Just a fuel hose stuck into a gasoline container will work. If that doesn't solve the problem, then you know it's something to do with the pump. If it does, you know the problem is between the pump and the tank. Once you know WHERE the problem is occurring, you can go after that. IMO at this time you don't know where it's occurring, except that it's before the filter.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast