Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Back to my fuel vapor in the lines.

Member #:530
    I say it was BOILING!

And I don't think anyone can convince me otherwise.
    Observations on the 2 latest videos (with the engine warmed, and idling):
    Video 1- the fuel filter is only 1/3 full while running. Same as the first 2 videos you posted. As you pour water on it, it starts to gradually fill more.
    Video 2- the fuel filter is nearly full to capacity as you are pouring water on it.

What changed between these 2 videos?
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Member #:530
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
    My plan is back to an electric pump near the tank, and the fuel line in the engine compartment to be as short as possible. Maybe insulated.
    Found this guys answer in another forum (on the same subject of overheating fuel and stalling)...

I'm running a clear filter between the carb and the fuel pump and I would get a relatively constant stream of bubbles even before the engine got hot. It was also down on power. It was sucking air into the fuel line between the pump and the tank.

So If I were you, I would invest time under the car and check all your connections and replace any rubber hose over a few years old at this point. I think you are drawing air into the lines somewhere, and that is contributing to the bubble situation...
    Just my 2 cents. Go for the most obvious things...as they are often the source of the issue.
    Last edited by WagonCrazy; 03-09-2018 at 07:02 AM.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    Quote Originally Posted by WagonCrazy View Post
    What changed between these 2 videos?
    Oh good gawd.
    What happened was again my finger slipped off the camera button (it's an old Kodak camera with a movie mode (MOV. file) I just looked at the files and in the file info is a difference of 38 seconds. Subtract the length of the 2nd video, 35 seconds, and you have a gap of 3 seconds where I was fumbling with the camera and trying to re position the 1 gallon can. That is what happened.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCrazy View Post
    Found this guys answer in another forum (on the same subject of overheating fuel and stalling)...

I'm running a clear filter between the carb and the fuel pump and I would get a relatively constant stream of bubbles even before the engine got hot. It was also down on power. It was sucking air into the fuel line between the pump and the tank.

So If I were you, I would invest time under the car and check all your connections and replace any rubber hose over a few years old at this point. I think you are drawing air into the lines somewhere, and that is contributing to the bubble situation...
    Just my 2 cents. Go for the most obvious things...as they are often the source of the issue.
    Did the video show you nothing? Or do you think I somehow cheated it? Gos for the most obvious thing? J.C., how many times must I say that I replaced the entire line from sump to pump and had the same exact problem. There is no fricken way that much air could leak in at idle without any fuel leaking out when not running.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Put your money where your mouth is

I'll make a wager with anyone here, $1,000. cash. Come here, lay out your money and try to say the cold water isn't cooling the fuel pump and stopping the gas from boiling. Well get some kind of honest judge/s. That's $1000 cash to you if the cold water doesn't stop the gas from boiling when put on the fuel pump, not touching the filter, $1,000 to me when you see it does exactly as I've been saying.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
    My plan is back to an electric pump near the tank, and the fuel line in the engine compartment to be as short as possible. Maybe insulated.
    It'll be interesting to see if that works. Why? Because the mechanical pump will still put out the same pressure, and the same fuel flowrate. I understand those Holley pumps are internally regulated. So theoretically you'll still have the same problem because the fuel will get just as hot, right? That is UNLESS the problem is occurring before the pump. The electric pump will push fuel to the mechanical pump, instead of making the mechanical pump pull it. So if you're vaporizing the fuel in the line before the pump, or sucking air somewhere, the electric pump will cure it.

I'd really like to know what's going on here, so I'd ask that you just change one thing at a time so we can see how the problem is affected by that change. This has been interesting to me.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

CN, I'm not running it through the mechanical pump, that would make the fuel hot like it is now.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I can run cut the timing and run 87 pump gas with fewer issues than Tony, but I won't. My overkill system was not hard or expensive. Truth be known the real reason for the sump was I cut the bottom out of the 60 year tank to clean it out inside.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I can run cut the timing and run 87 pump gas with fewer issues than Tony, but I won't. My overkill system was not hard or expensive. Truth be known the real reason for the sump was I cut the bottom out of the 60 year tank to clean it out inside.
    I don't get it? Is there supposed to be some correlation between octane and boiling point? Even if I had the same sump my fuel would boil just the same.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Member #:3217
    My money is on a pinhole in the fuel line near the tank... I had a similar problem keeping my '57 sedan running; First I changed the pump.. no change.. then I figured the gas tank had clogged up from sitting, so I decided to put a new tank/pickup in it.. While replacing the tank I found a pin hole in the hard line near to the tank where the line had 'almost crimped'... it never leaked when sitting (the pinhole was above the tank and may have been above the fuel pump as well... I cut the line where it was leaking and put in a neoprene rubber line stopgap (it's still that way and no more problem...)...

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast