Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Back to my fuel vapor in the lines.

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    Correct, I know it's before the filter AND always has to do with HEAT. Anyway, it's a lot easier to go for a cruise on the highway and get it good and hot then come home and hit the fuel pump with a garden hose than it is to change the fuel pickup to a gas can. So if the garden hose doesn't stop it, THEN I'll do the hose in a gas can. When going by the process of elimination, one can also logically do the easiest test first.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Member #:3718
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    That is simply not true . A larger line has less resistance to flow.

Yes it does. I meant to say that as a line gets larger the harder it is for a pump to PULL fuel through not push. Thanks for catching that one. >>>

I am not too sure that the fuel is boiling myself either, it looks more like the normal fuel bubbling we see in carb bowls. Whatever it is, there is a lot of air coming in with the fuel. And just curious but was the filter really hot, gasoline has a starting point of boiling at 90 degrees and should be at full boil somewhere around 200 I think.
    Remember the "13"

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by chasracer View Post
    I meant to say that as a line gets larger the harder it is for a pump to PULL fuel through not push. Thanks for catching that one. >>>
    Sorry but that's not true either. Resistance to flow is the same pulling or pushing.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by chasracer View Post
    gasoline has a starting point of boiling at 90 degrees and should be at full boil somewhere around 200 I think.
    100-400F per this site. Not sure why there's such a wide range but it's probably due to so many different compounds in it. I didn't realize it was that low.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/f...int-d_936.html
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Sorry but on that one I know your wrong. The internal size of the line is directly related to the amount of vacuum that has to be placed on the line to get fuel to enter the line.
    Remember the "13"

Registered Member

Sorry but that's not true either. Resistance to flow is the same pulling or pushing.
    No it isn't the same when pulling the liquid uphill. The larger the pipe, pickup, whatever, the more volume. That means it's pulling more weight. Now once the liquid, say gas in a car, once it's sucked up then down again you have a siphoning action and it can level off. In the end after it's primed, it's determined by the height of the fuel in the tank compared to the height of the pump, or to it's final destination. As long as it's going uphill, the larger the line, the harder it is to pull.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

100-400F per this site. Not sure why there's such a wide range but it's probably due to so many different compounds in it. I didn't realize it was that low.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/f...int-d_936.html
    Sort of makes the idea of my fuel boiling a bit more of a possibility doesn't it?
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Member #:571
    You're right about the weight of fuel, but the flow resistance in the line is more important - that's why the higher hp options on a 57 used a 3/8" line instead of 5/16" - or why you'd do that on any high performance situation.

Gasoline fuel is a mixture of hydrocarbons. It's not one hydrocarbon compound which would have more specific and narrower characteristics. For many, many years there's been "winter gasoline" and "summer gasoline". Compounds with higher vapor pressure and low boiling points are used in "winter gasoline". One of the more notable ones is butane, which is the same fuel used in a Bic lighter. It vaporizes at a rather low pressure.

Also, the mixture will vary with elevation. Because of the lower atmospheric pressure, fuel will vaporize more easily at elevation than at sea level. That's also seen in aviation fuel, as the situation is exaggerated.

But think about something Tony - if it's your fuel why isn't everyone in your location having this same problem? They don't, and that indicates something is wrong with your fuel system. It's leaking air into the system, but not leaking liquid out. You aren't the first one that's had the problem. Your challenge is to find and fix it, others have.

Registered Member

Rick, do you really think that my system leaks air in, in temperatures as low as 60F with winter gas. Then magically when they switch to summer gas (with a higher boiling point), the air leak goes away until the temps approach 85F? That sure sounds like a boiling problem to me. Unless you know something special about summer gas that doesn't allow my fuel lines to suck air in until it gets much hotter? And in the winter if the temps are below 50F, no air leaks in. And in the summer with temps below about 85F, no air leaks in? Can you explain how that happens? I'd love to know.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast