Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Back to my fuel vapor in the lines.

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    My money is on a pinhole in the fuel line near the tank... I had a similar problem keeping my '57 sedan running; First I changed the pump.. no change.. then I figured the gas tank had clogged up from sitting, so I decided to put a new tank/pickup in it.. While replacing the tank I found a pin hole in the hard line near to the tank where the line had 'almost crimped'... it never leaked when sitting (the pinhole was above the tank and may have been above the fuel pump as well... I cut the line where it was leaking and put in a neoprene rubber line stopgap (it's still that way and no more problem...)...
    What I didn't say is that yesterday I tested it again and used a hose that only hit the pump. Again once the pump cooled down it stopped boiling. In this one it starts off where you can't really see any liquid fuel at the beginning. Can you make that a $1000 money order so I can get the cash at the PO? I may be depositing over $10,000. a day and the bank has to report that to the government.

https://youtu.be/DiORzKq0Kt8
    Last edited by 55 Tony; 03-10-2018 at 04:34 AM.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Member #:3217
    Maybe you have a 'devil' car and there's no solution?

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
    CN, I'm not running it through the mechanical pump, that would make the fuel hot like it is now.
    Sorry, I misunderstood.

But it would be a good way to prove your theory. If you left everything as it is now but installed the electric pump and the problem still exists, it proves that the fuel is boiling in the fuel pump. If the problem goes away, it proves it's before the pump.
    Last edited by chevynut; 03-10-2018 at 07:51 AM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Here's something interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cadNfSNi_Oc

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Banned

Member #:2775
    Good video.

Member #:530
    According to this video, it looks like an in-tank electric pump (and removal of the "old boiler" mechanical pump) is the way to go here.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Banned

Member #:2775
    It's not going to be a cheap fix, especially if you do it right, but it would probably be worth it to make it run right. I'm glad I can still get good ole 110 octane leaded race gas here. Lots of dirt track racers around. My 11:1 engine loves it, although it is 8 bucks a gallon, but mixed 50% with ethanol free gas, and I'm lucky if I use 2 tanks in a summer.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 03-10-2018 at 02:42 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Here's something interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cadNfSNi_Oc
    Damn, I wish I saw that years ago. Just saw it now. Today I installed an in line Holley pump and the only connections where it could have leaked air in are still there. I had the pump running with the engine off for about an hour with no bubbles, oh, and right now I have the clear filter first and the bypass filter in again before the carb because the pump being dead headed did slightly raise the temp of the fuel in the pump which was no problem now, but I figured when it's 90F outside it could be a problem. Left it running that way for another hour with the engine running for about 1/2 hour and got no bubbles in the filter. Not a single one. I didn't have a lot of time to spend on it so it's not wired properly yet, I just ran the hot wire to the battery. I have some small motor mounts that are a 1/4" stud on each end and about 3/4" of rubber in the middle, I'm going to try those to see if I can quiet the pump just a little more so I can't hear it with the engine running. I can hardly hear it now but it's still annoying. Without a regulator I'm getting 6 to 6.5 psi which if it was too much I think would have showed up while idling so I may be OK without a regulator.

CN, it's nice you believe me now, but after all those posts, the fact that it took that video for you (and others?) to believe me still makes it a big insult.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
    CN, it's nice you believe me now, but after all those posts, the fact that it took that video for you (and others?) to believe me still makes it a big insult.
    No insult, I had no idea gas would boil at such low temps. It was my lack of knowledge on the subject, and not being able to see exactly what was going on. I learned something here too.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:3606
    A big insult? I have been following this thread with interest and went back re-read it all. I didn't see anything insulting. Yes, others were questioning you and did not think it was boiling, probably because they have not had that happen to them. I was betting on an air leak before the pump too. I learned a lot from this thread, like how low of a temperature gas will boil and how to fix the problem if I have it happen to me. Cnut pretty much confirmed what you were saying and you took it as an insult that we just didn't believe you. I think everyone was just offering input to help solve the problem. Anyway, glad you got it fixed and thanks for posting the problem, it was informative.
    56-210, 283, 200-4R, Power steering, Power Brakes

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast