Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Front motor plate question.

Registered Member

Member #:3678

Front motor plate question.

Is it possible (advisable) to cushion vibration with some style composite (urethane, rubber, ect.) between front engine 1/2 alumn. plate and (frame, roll bar) mounting point brackets for street-strip use. Mid plate attaching brackets allow for cushions in theory.Have`nt been to the track lately to question builders of street-strip combo cars with front-mid plates installed with cages or otherwise and the extent of vibration when street driven.Understanding all things being subjective.

Member #:1653
    As they say, a picture is worth............................... I've never seen a 1/2" front motor plate but regardless, doing so (dampers) seems to negate the whole premise behind having solid mounts up front and mid plate. I suspect with some degree of thought it would be possible as long as both mount areas are addressed in the same fashion.

Banned

Member #:2775
    I have a tube frame car with a mid-plate, and solid side mounts, and engine vibration isn't an issue at all.
    camera phone 074.jpgcamera phone 013.jpg

Member #:3718
    I have street driven more than a few cars that were equipped with solid motor mounts and the whole vibration thing is a bit overrated I think. I suppose I am saying if you want a Cadillac driving experience then build a Cadillac type car, but if performance is the main goal then so be it. On top of that if we consider the engineering required to properly support a front and rear engine plate setup with some type of vibration isolator, I am not sure any of us have that resource in our garages. What happens if the isolator fails? Are we sure that engine components will not come in contact with the steering system or brake lines in case of a failure? I think it's something to consider if you attempt making these parts on your own. Also, all of the aluminum plates I have used have been .250 size.
    Remember the "13"

Registered Member

Member #:3678
    I stand corrected as I posted 1/2 inch plate when should have posted 1/4 in.Again in theory I have the mid plate brackets made and mocked up using urethane cushions.My thought was to reconfigure my current plates mounting points with the addition of an encased sleeved (for bolts) rectangular shaped composite.(Similar in theory to body mounts.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned

I don't know, but my whole thought on my car using engine mounting plates was to help make the engine a structural part of the car by tying everything together solid. Using cushion mounts still would a little, but I don't think you would gain much isolation anyway for the trouble. Not letting the engine wiggle around decreases vibration too. I love the rock solid feel of the engine in my car, with no torque reaction movement on and off of the power.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 03-09-2018 at 02:53 PM.

Banned

I just wanted to add, after only street driving a full tube frame chassis car many miles, with a solid mounted engine, the whole car feels like one giant piece of steel. And with no sound insulation, carpet, upholstery, windows, undercoating, and a quick change rear gear, it sounds like a rolling musical mechanical symphony. I'll never need, or install a heavy stereo system in that car.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 03-09-2018 at 05:29 PM.