Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: nomad liftgate

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    Hmm, I sort of understand. But I don't think I've ever seen one open so it's hard to picture.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Member #:115
    I doubt driving around with the liftgate open has much to do with the top of the liftgate being twisted. First of all, virtually EVERY Nomad has this problem and I doubt that all of them did that. If you drive around with the liftgate open you get exhaust into the car too. Someone might put the liftgate up now and then but the torsion rods apply a load 24/7. The torsion rods are very stout, like the trunk lid rods on a HT or sedan. When the liftgate is down, that's when the highest loads are applied to it. The top of the liftgate is pretty small in cross sectional area.
    Last edited by chevynut; 07-23-2018 at 06:04 AM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:3217
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    I doubt driving around with the liftgate open has much to do with the top of the liftgate being twisted. First of all, virtually EVERY Nomad has this problem and I doubt that all of them did that. If you drive around with the liftgate open you get exhaust into the car too. Someone might put the liftgate up now and then but the torsion rods apply a load 24/7. The torsion rods are very stout, like the trunk lid rods on a HT or sedan. When the liftgate is down, that's when the highest loads are applied to it. The top of the liftgate is pretty small in cross sectional area.
    I doubt any one has actually *measured* or calculated the loads on the liftgate in either the open, or UP position, so the above statement is an opinion. As CN states.. it's his *opinion* and we all know about opinions... I've driven with my liftgate up (and the tailgate down) carrying a 15x18 ft carpet roll home once long ago.. don't recall any fumes coming into the drivers compartment either... the windows were down, vents open.. all the air was moving from front to rear in the car. Other reasons for driving iwth the liftgate up was to COOL the car when no cars were *customized*, Vintage air didn't exist.. the only 'vintage air' was from the open vent windows! and the exhaust pipes on stock cars didn't come out the rear, they either exited at the rear corners of the car (point OUT), or behind the rear wheels. And to address the highest loads' statement... another opinion. IMO the highest loads on the liftgate itself would be when it was UP, only supported at the hinges and support arms - ie weight load, gravity, wind loads, etc. When the liftgate is UP, loading from the torsion rods is minimized, but all other loads are against the upper part of the frame (which is actually on the low side in this situation, supporting the glass weight, wind load, etc. When the liftgate is DOWN, it is being supported all around by the body of the car, and the tailgate, and only in the down position, I'd perhaps agree that the torsion rods are the largest contributor of load on the liftgate. This IS one possible reason .. maybe the major reason that the liftgates get torqued, but this is only opinion, unless someone has done some analysis or testing that I haven't seen.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I think you are quite confused on a couple of points.

First, it's pretty well known that trifives in general, and particularly wagons, generate a lot of negative airflow pressure at the rear of the vehicle. If you have an oil leak, or your engine burns/passes significant oil, it gets all over the trunk lid or tailgate. If the liftgate is open, exhaust gas gets sucked in.

Second, the highest force with the torsion bars is as/when the liftgate closes. I accept Chevynut's comments that it's not just about closing the liftgate, it's about the torsion bar forces anytime the liftgate is closed. Particularly when driving around with it closed, where it sees some road vibrations which flex everything. All this liftgate stuff is well documented and is no mystery.

Member #:3217
    Rick,

You need to re-read my post again with an open mind...

If the stock liftgate struts would bend the liftgate while driving around with it open, then the gas struts would do the same thing. But they don't as far as I know. I've never heard of anyone having the liftgate distort while driving with it open with gas struts, and I'm sure some guys drive around with it open....especially since it's impossible for exhaust to enter through it. It's the torsion rods twisting it 24/7 for years that does it. Ask Madmook.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:530
    It's the torsion rods that distort it. Definately...upgrade to struts while you're at it, or your looking to waste your money getting it straightened.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Registered Member

Member #:3880
    I contacted Jerry Cabunoc in Santa Ana. He still does them, both straightening and getting them chromed.

Member #:2264
    madmooks is doing liftgates again, I just sent mine out around three weeks ago. he doesn't do rechroming any more that I know of.

Quote Originally Posted by mech393 View Post
    madmooks is doing liftgates again, I just sent mine out around three weeks ago. he doesn't do rechroming any more that I know of.
    I'd be surprised if he doesn't do any more re-chroming. He's been chroming parts for a while now and liftgates were one of his specialties. If he's not doing them, who are you sending it to? Liftgates are rare and if one gets screwed up it's hard to replace. Mike's guy is pretty awesome and he really does a nice job. I had him do all my interior chrome trim and front smoothie bumper too. Ogden is doing my rear bumper.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast