Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Greg and 1955 chevy 2 door

Registered Member

Member #:3732
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Most of these cars have frames other than what they were built with. Mine has had two different frames after the original one. Nobody cares about the VIN on the frame so it really doesn't matter unless your state is picky about it. Most states don't care about the frame VIN and when you have a VIN inspection in Colorado all they look at is the VIN tag on the body. There are tens of thousands of these cars with frames other than the original, all perfectly legal.
    That is what I thought that many times the number on a frame was only looked at if it was suspected to be stolen. Also I am aware that other than original frames are used on many cars.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Most of these cars have frames other than what they were built with. Mine has had two different frames after the original one. Nobody cares about the VIN on the frame so it really doesn't matter unless your state is picky about it. Most states don't care about the frame VIN and when you have a VIN inspection in Colorado all they look at is the VIN tag on the body. There are tens of thousands of these cars with frames other than the original, all perfectly legal.
    Most, please verify the source of that information. Here they normally go no further than door plate unless its riveted or otherwise missing or altered. I would love to see your state polices response to your stupid comments. I have it first hand, what correct procedures are when changing frames.

Member #:3217
    MOST?? of which cars? the cars owned by TriFiveChevys members? Maybe... we could do a poll ...? I have six Trifives; five of them are still on their original frames (I only removed the original frame on the current project '57 Nomad to install a Corvette corrections chassis).

Chevy built almost 6 Million cars in 55-57; it would not surprise me to believe that nearly 1 Milion still exist! I certainly do NOT believe that MOST remaining '55-57 Chevys sit on non-factory original frames; I suspect the number might be 5-10% at MOST...
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 03-28-2019 at 06:47 AM.

Registered Member

I went to my state inspection at Colorado state patrol vin inspection in gOlden Colorado and I had the frame vin numbers exposed that I showed to the officer. Ten minutes later he came back and said there was a problem that he needed to see the vin plate that is attached to the body. I pointed the the plate on the A pillar and he wrote it down and a half an hour later I had paperwork in hand for a builder title. My understanding is that a frame number is more for if they suspect a car is stolen. As well if it is against the law to have an other than original frame are all the people using art Morrison frames law breakers?

Member #:3217
    There are many WRONG ways, a few 'right' (or OK) ways, generally oNe Best way to do about anything. You're right in that the purpose of the FRAME partial VIN is to verify the VIN on the car in cases where the stated/documented/titled VIN is suspect (as in a stolen car question?). When the cars were newer, this was probably more often, or the only cases where the frame vin was actually checked.

Nowadays, after many (over 60 yrs) of swaps, junk yard rebuilds, etc, it's generally a good idea for a buyer to check the frame VIN to verify match to title or registration before purchase (Just to be safe!).

It IS possible to swap out a frame for another original frame (ie. in cases of collision frame damage?, etc) and be perfectly legal but one needs to be able to prove legal ownership (purchase) of the FRAME (and it's partial) as well as for the original car. The exact procedure for this 'frame exchange' and what happens to the title paperwork etc varies by state.

When I did my frame update, I documented the original VIN plate on the car and the partial frame VIN on the original frame I removed via photographic evidence. Before I SOLD the original frame, I XXXX'ed out the partial VIN to ensure it could not be used to title some other car in another state. I also have my purchase paperwork for the new frame to prove legal ownership of that. I have considered stamping in the vehicle VIN on the new frame (but I haven't yet done that since I don't want to complicate the situation any further)..

When it comes to my Registration of the car in my state (Alabama), I don't think it's in my interest to mention the updated chassis (unless they ask to see the frame VIN)!

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Most, please verify the source of that information. Here they normally go no further than door plate unless its riveted or otherwise missing or altered. I would love to see your state polices response to your stupid comments. I have it first hand, what correct procedures are when changing frames.
    You think you know the laws in every state? LMAO! All they looked at on my Nomad in Colorado was the VIN plate. At the time it was sitting on a gasser frame I build that was not original to the car. You're pretty stupid to think every state handles VINs like you claim Kansas does. I'm sure lots of states look right past a riveted VIN tag, since a lot of newer cars have riveted tags. We have cases on this site with cars with riveted tags that had no problem with getting the car registered in their state. I've never heard of a builder's title in Colorado but that may be a recent thing to address titling "junk" cars that are going to be rebuilt. Every state is different.

Please cite or link the law in any state, especially Kansas, that requires the frame to have the original VIN number. If they do, it's pretty damn stupid for a 60 year old car. So post the law or you're FOS. I'm not saying the frame VIN CAN'T be used on some vehicles, as my son got a title for a 37 Chevy that was missing the body VIN tag by using the frame VIN. But I've never seen a law that says both the frame and the body have to have the VIN on them.

I think a lot of what you guys are saying is heresay, and not the law. It's not the law unless it's written into a statute.
    Last edited by chevynut; 03-28-2019 at 08:08 AM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

BamaNomad Thanks for the input and I will photograph and document my old frame and get a bill of sale for the different frame that I plan on using.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by 55chevysedanX4 View Post
    I went to my state inspection at Colorado state patrol vin inspection in gOlden Colorado and I had the frame vin numbers exposed that I showed to the officer. Ten minutes later he came back and said there was a problem that he needed to see the vin plate that is attached to the body. I pointed the the plate on the A pillar and he wrote it down and a half an hour later I had paperwork in hand for a builder title. My understanding is that a frame number is more for if they suspect a car is stolen. As well if it is against the law to have an other than original frame are all the people using art Morrison frames law breakers?
    You tried to title a shell for a 55 Chevy, pretty much a scrapped out partial car. I'll bet that if the car was driveable, all they would have looked at is the a-pillar VIN tag. You probably shouldn't have even mentioned the frame VIN.
    Last edited by chevynut; 03-28-2019 at 08:26 AM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:625
    You guys can do what you want, but I have a friend that works for the state patrol and hear stories of cars bought out of state being impounded. I don't know or care was the law is everywhere, but do know the correct procedures for my state. This is not the proper place to debate those rules. Anyone considering a frame swap should first visit with their local authorities rather than internet loudmouth's. You know what they say about "I read it on the internet it must be true".

Registered Member

latest update
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 55chevysedanX4; 04-30-2019 at 11:34 PM. Reason: new pictures did not load

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast