Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wiring

Registered Member

Member #:3735

Wiring

I'm trying to figure out what wiring harness to buy I need to know how many circuit's to get.This is what I've got MSD 6BTM box,PerTronix conversion electronic,head light's,tail light's,turn signals,brake light,back up light,horn,electric fuel pump,wipers,dome light,gauges 5 and tach,stereo,alternator,cig lighter for acc,ing switch,sending unit on 16gal fuel cell,squirt can, I believe that's it. Any help would be appreciated

Member #:115
    A Lot of guys like the American Autowire classic update kit for tri5s. They added circuits for newer stuff like you describe. I'd take a look and see if you think it meets your needs. I have so much stuff I built mine from scratch.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:3682
    I’ve also used the Painless Wiring 21 circuit harness. You will need to use a number of your original connectors, as I recall, only the headlight connectors are included.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I think the AAW kit is the way to go for many. It will replicate the original but with upgrades. More wires are terminated which helps if the car is fairly stock and stock length wires can be used. Use the custom kits when you need more circuits or want to relocate the fuse panel. Three options to think about with relocation, one is the Ron Francis kit that mounts the fuse panel on a clip in bracket, along with a pigtail - so that you can pull the fuse panel away from the bracket and get better access/visibility. Next is to mount the fuse box in a console. The third is Painless has a harness with extended leads so that you can put it just about anywhere including the trunk.

If you're doing something "close" to stock with some add-ons I think that AAW update kit will work even if you have to add a relay or two. I actually bought a Hot Rod Wires custon wiring kit/panel that turned out to be a POS so I don't recommend it. Most kits limit where you can put your fuse panel because of the length of the wires.

Because I have so much electrical stuff going on, I made my own fuse panel out of "stackable" fuse block section from Waytek. You can add 4 fuse increments to make a panel as big as you want. I ended up with 24 fuses. I have 5 breakers, something like 16 relays (4 under the driver's fender, 2 under the dash, and 10 in the console), two power window controller modules, a door lock controller, a retained accessory/auto headlight/dome light controller, a 2-speed fan controller, a keyless entry/alarm box, a Wideband O2 controller, an ECM, a Spark controller, all crammed into the console. No way would a "kit" do what I needed to do . I'll probably be adding even more for electric cutout control as well, and maybe need another breaker or two. The 4-way flasher and turn signal flashers are under the dash with the horn relay, and the 3 fan relays are under the fender with an electric hood release relay. Lots of stuff to try to hide. I bought small rolls of GXL wire in various colors and gauges I needed. I guess the point is don't necessarily feel you need a "kit" if you can handle designing electrical stuff from scratch. Plus you can save a bunch of money imo.

20150722_009.JPG

20150710_013.JPG

20150723_017.JPG
    Last edited by chevynut; 03-13-2018 at 07:37 PM.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    I bought the Painless basic plus, or something like that. It was supposed to have all the stuff they came with plus a few extra circuits. That's OK, I thought, I don't have a lot of extra's. But then when it's too late I find out that according to Painless, TriFives didn't have a generator light/exciter circuit, cigarette lighter, and a lot more I can't think of now. Painless is Painful! I've used up all my "extra" circuits on basic stuff.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Banned

Member #:2775
    I used a Ron Francis setup, and it worked out great. It was nice to have the option of terminating wires at the fuse panel, so you can run wires either from the device, or the other way. It has a lot of flexibility, and they have several different options to choose from. I just needed basic circuits so I went with their smallest fuse panel. Plus it just unhooks from the mount so you can pull it out from inside the dash.
    1981 Z28 064.jpg1981 Z28 063.jpg
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 03-14-2018 at 12:55 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:3735
    I want to thank y'all for the help what I really need is should I buy a 21 circuit harness will it do?

Quote Originally Posted by T-Rexblown57409 View Post
    I want to thank y'all for the help what I really need is should I buy a 21 circuit harness will it do?
    Which harness are you considering? The AAW Classic Update kit is 18 circuit.

https://www.americanautowire.com/sho...-1955-56-chevy

Count up all of your things that need power to determine that. Keep in mind that you can put more than one thing on a circuit....i.e. the glove box light doesn't need a fuse of it's own.
    Last edited by chevynut; 03-14-2018 at 10:45 AM.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:3249
    I'm no electrical guy at all, in fact I hate wiring. That said, I really like the AAW kits. I did my 56 with one, and my son-in-law's 67 Chevelle with one, and we made it thru. I thought the instructions were good, and their customer support is good, too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast